Latest Premier League News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ancelotti - Capello was surly
New Blues boss explains life under Capello in autobiography

New Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has criticised the way England boss Fabio Capello used to treat his players.

The former AC Milan boss played under Capello during the latter stages of his career at San Siro and has questioned his fellow Italian's communication skills in his autobiography.

Ancelotti even insisted that Capello was the reason he decided to hang up his boots at the Rossoneri when he relegated the former midfielder to a bit-part player at Milan.

Although praising the England manager's understanding of the game, Ancelotti believes that there were certain subjects that were off limits when it came to communicating with the 62-year-old.

"Capello read games brilliantly that was his best quality," he said. "From that point of view, hats off to him.
Surly

"On a human level, well the situation changed. He was surly, he didn't have a dialogue with the players, above all he didn't like to talk to us about technical issues.

"The discussion on certain questions was not relevant to him - it didn't exist."

As soon as Capello took over at San Siro he relegated Ancelotti to the bench, after he had been a regular in the great Arrigo Sacchi side of the 1980s.

Unhappy at playing second fiddle. the Blues manager decided to call time on his playing career at the age of just 32 and joined Sacchi in the Italy national team set-up.

"The first season without Sacchi would be my last at Milan. At the start I struggled to accept that role as an extra, then I just got used to it," he added.

"When I decided that this would be my last championship, I never had a second thought.

"Capello wanted to make me change my mind but there was no way back."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Redknapp failed in Barry bid
Spurs boss eyed midfielder but lost out to City's riches

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has revealed he tried to sign Gareth Barry but was 'blown out of the water by Manchester City'.

England international Barry parted company with Aston Villa on Tuesday after the Midlands club accepted a £12million bid from affluent City.

Spurs, though, were also keen on the midfielder while Redknapp has also claimed Liverpool, who tracked Barry last summer, were interested in a renewed bid.

But the duo struggled to compete with City's financial muscle and Redknapp has admitted his frustration at losing out to Tottenham's Premier League counterparts.

He told The Sun: "This week, I tried to sign Gareth Barry. I felt he would be a good addition for Spurs and I knew we had to make a decent offer for a top England player.
Liverpool

"Liverpool were also prepared to make a big offer. But we have both been blown out of the water by Manchester City.

"They offered a far bigger transfer fee and are giving the lad much bigger wages. We could not get near.

"It's certainly not Gareth's fault that he is being given such a massive contract.

"But I believe the game could do one thing. I don't see wages or transfer fees going down but English football could start putting something back into the community.

"I'd like to see every manager and every player in the Premier League make a donation to charity from their monthly pay packets."

Embarrassed

Redknapp went on to criticise the increasing wages in the Premier League, questioning the morality of such figures in the current climate.

He said: "While I benefit from a good wage, I'm embarrassed about it, to be honest. A lot of people in football are embarrassed.

"I never thought it would get this out of hand. The sums we are now talking to get good players are really, really crazy.

"To hear that Chelsea and Real Madrid are prepared to pay £50million, £60m or even £70m for Kaka is just mental.

"Kaka is a fantastic player and I would obviously love him in my team at White Hart Lane. The fact a pro footballer could be earning £200,000 a week is plain ridiculous."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Terry puts WC thoughts on hold
Chelsea skipper wants to conquer Europe ahead of World Cup

John Terry insists he is not getting carried away with thoughts of the World Cup, instead he first wants to conquer Europe with Chelsea.

The Blues captain still has nightmares of his 2007 UEFA Champions League final penalty shoot-out miss in Moscow which would have handed the trophy to Chelsea, with his effort instead hitting the woodwork and giving Manchester United the honours.

The 28-year-old insists any thoughts of the World Cup in South Africa will be on the backburner until next season's Champions League draws to a close, hopefully with him lifting the famous trophy at the Bernabeu.

Carlo Ancelotti has been drafted in as manager to help Chelsea finally get their hands on Europe's most prestigious silverware and Terry is optimistic over the future.

"To win the Champions League, it's a massive thing for me. With what happened in the Barca game and the final the year before that, it is still hurting," he said.
Working hard

"We'll work hard to do our best next year. We're being linked with players that can maybe take us to that next level.

"As a player at Chelsea I'm happy and delighted that we're back in for these top players. It seems that for a couple of years we haven't been, but we're linked with the best players in the world again."

But for now Terry is focused on helping England gain maximum points in their upcoming games against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

Six points from the two games would all but secure the Three Lions safe passage through to South Africa next year but Terry, who missed the 5-1 win over Kazakhstan at Wembley, has warned that Saturday's game will be tough.

"We like to get it down and play, quick and fast," he added.

Tough conditions

"The pitch is very bobbly, there were a few ricochets in training, but we'll deal with it as they have to as well. We'll have to adapt.

"I was there watching the game and I was really surprised as they were really sharp and well organised.

"They caused us a few problems. We have to be right on our game and prepared for the unexpected.

"They are going to be full of tempo and try to get in our faces. A lot of things are in their favour but we're hoping the lads will be really sharp."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Perez turned down by Wenger
Real president admits Frenchman was committed to Arsenal

Florentino Perez has admitted that Arsene Wenger did not want to leave Arsenal to come to Real Madrid.

The new Real president has already set his ambitious plans in motion by expressing a desire to bring in top players such as Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery.

He also considered his manager very carefully and appointed Manuel Pellegrini earlier this week after reaching a deal with Villarreal.

Perez is delighted with the man he has in place but concedes that he had also been interested in Gunners boss Wenger.

The Frenchman was linked with Real after receiving some criticism towards the end of another trophyless season with the London club.

Perez has now revealed that he did speak with Wenger but found him to be totally committed to Arsenal.

"From the beginning we have worked on two possibilities - Wenger and Pellegrini," Perez said in L'Equipe.

"We have always been attracted by the Frenchman and we talked to him several times.

"He didn't come because he feels very responsible about what has happened and what will happen at Arsenal. He didn't want to abandon the club that he has given such a lot to.

"But as (director general Jorge) Valdano said: 'Pellegrini is the Wenger of Spanish football'."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Al-Fahim 'excited' by Pompey
Prospective owner visits Fratton Park

Prospective Portsmouth owner Sulaiman Al-Fahim admits he is 'excited' about taking over the club after visiting Fratton Park.

Al-Fahim has had an offer to buy Pompey accepted by current owner Alexandre Gaydamak and is in a period of due diligence.

The Dubai-based billionaire made a trip to the club on Friday and is now waiting to officially confirm his takeover.

"I'm very excited to be at the club and, hopefully after the due diligence period, I will announce it to the club and the fans," Al-Fahim told Sky Sports News.

"I'm here to do whatever the fans want me to do."
Ambitious vision

In a statement Al-Fahim added: "We are currently conducting a thorough due diligence process into the acquisition of Portsmouth FC.

"I can assure you, however, that as soon as this process is over I will be able to present my ambitious vision for the club's future.

"I also want to say that I have been very warmly welcomed here today both by the club and its supporters and I look forward to attending many successful matches at Fratton Park as well as getting to know the city and its people."

Portsmouth's executive chairman Peter Storrie believes Al-Fahim has been impressed by his visit to the Premier League club.

Storrie told the club's official website: "We must remember we are in a period of due diligence, but Sulaiman Al-Fahim enjoyed the time he spent at Fratton Park, which is encouraging.

"Sulaiman Al-Fahim saw the ground and surprised me with his knowledge of the Pompey squad.

"He was also keen to speak with some of our long-standing supporters and spent half-an-hour listening to their views.

"I think he was impressed with what he saw and heard, and he has a terrific enthusiasm that matches what our fans feel."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Wigan still hopeful on Martinez
Announcement could be made early next week

Wigan chief executive Brenda Spencer is confident Roberto Martinez will agree to become the club's new manager.

The Latics have moved quickly in an effort to replace Steve Bruce, who left the JJB Stadium on Wednesday to take charge of Premier League rivals Sunderland.

They were given permission to speak with Swansea boss Martinez on Thursday after agreeing a compensation package with the Championship club.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan had been hoping to confirm Martinez's appointment within 24 hours but an announcement has yet to be made.

Spencer has now admitted that it may take a little longer but has assured supporters that negotiations are progressing smoothly.

"Talks were really positive and I am confident that everything will go through," Spencer told the club's official website.

"As with all these talks there is a lot to go through and agree.

"Roberto and I will continue to keep in touch over the weekend and we hope to announce something early next week."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Reds owners make heavy loss
Accountants fire warning to Hicks and Gillett

Liverpool's accountants have fired a word of warning after the parent company owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett suffered a £42.6million loss last year.

The figure is mainly due to interest payments on the debts the Americans took on to buy the club.

In the annual accounts released on Thursday night, Liverpool's accountants have also warned that remaining uncertainty over refinancing the £350million debt before the 24th July deadline 'may cast significant doubt on the group's and parent company's ability to continue as a going concern'.

Although Hicks and Gillett say they are confident of securing a refinancing deal, the figures reveal that the financial success of the football club is being swallowed up by the cost of servicing the parent company's loans.

The accounts for the year ending July 2008 showed Liverpool made a £10.2million profit but the parent company Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd made a substantial loss of £42.6million, mainly due to interest payments totalling £36.5million.

The clubs accountants KPMG LLP also expressed a warning in their notes in the filed accounts.

The accountants said: "The group has credit facilities amounting to £350million which expire on 24 July 2009. The directors have initiated negotiations to secure the replacement finance required by the group and these negotiations are ongoing.

"These conditions... indicate the existence of a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt on the group's and parent company's ability to continue as a going concern."

The club's turnover was a record £159.1million compared to £133.9million the year before, with a profit of £10.2million.

That was reflected by a similar turnover for Kop Football (Holdings) of £164million - most coming from the football club - but the overall loss of £42.6million.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ancelotti - Capello was surly
New Blues boss explains life under Capello in autobiography

New Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has criticised the way England boss Fabio Capello used to treat his players.

The former AC Milan boss played under Capello during the latter stages of his career at San Siro and has questioned his fellow Italian's communication skills in his autobiography.

Ancelotti even insisted that Capello was the reason he decided to hang up his boots at the Rossoneri when he relegated the former midfielder to a bit-part player at Milan.

Although praising the England manager's understanding of the game, Ancelotti believes that there were certain subjects that were off limits when it came to communicating with the 62-year-old.

"Capello read games brilliantly that was his best quality," he said. "From that point of view, hats off to him.
Surly

"On a human level, well the situation changed. He was surly, he didn't have a dialogue with the players, above all he didn't like to talk to us about technical issues.

"The discussion on certain questions was not relevant to him - it didn't exist."

As soon as Capello took over at San Siro he relegated Ancelotti to the bench, after he had been a regular in the great Arrigo Sacchi side of the 1980s.

Unhappy at playing second fiddle. the Blues manager decided to call time on his playing career at the age of just 32 and joined Sacchi in the Italy national team set-up.

"The first season without Sacchi would be my last at Milan. At the start I struggled to accept that role as an extra, then I just got used to it," he added.

"When I decided that this would be my last championship, I never had a second thought.

"Capello wanted to make me change my mind but there was no way back."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kapo seeks France return
Latics winger keen to secure summer switch

Olivier Kapo has revealed that he is hoping to secure a move back to France this summer.

The Wigan winger endured a disappointing debut campaign at the JJB Stadium during 2008/09, failing to force his way into Steve Bruce's first-team plans on a regular basis.

While Bruce has relinquished the reins with the Latics, following his move to Sunderland, Kapo does not expect his position to get any better next term.

With that in mind, the former France international is keen to take on a fresh challenge elsewhere.

Having made a name for himself during his time in Ligue 1 with Auxerre, the 28-year-old admits a return to France would be his preferred option.

"I feel I am at a turning point in my career," Kapo told L'Equipe.

"I didn't play a lot last season and I was not happy at Wigan.

"I now want to leave and I would like to go back to France. I want to show that the Kapo from the Auxerre period has not been banished."

Kapo is under contract at Wigan until 2011, so the Latics are unlikely to grant him a free transfer.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Perez building United bridges
Bernabeu president keen to maintain 'friendship' with rivals

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez claims he is more concerned with maintaining a 'friendship' with Manchester United than signing Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Primera Liga outfit are long-term admirers of the Portuguese winger and failed in various attempts to sign the 2008 World Player of the Year last summer.

It was expected that newly-elected Perez, who has pledged to bring star names to the Bernabeu in his second stint as president, would return for Ronaldo - and he has not ruled out a move.

However, Real appear to have set their sights on AC Milan's Kaka, and Perez insists he will not pursue transfer targets in a manner which could upset other clubs.
Honour

"If one day there is a chance of [Ronaldo] playing for Real Madrid, that would be an honour for us," he said in The Times.

"But if I had to choose between the friendship with Manchester United and the signing of Ronaldo, I would choose the friendship.

"Plus, I have never said that Cristiano will arrive in June. That is an arrogant and false statement."

He continued: "I shall be talking with [United manager Sir Alex] Ferguson and [chief executive] David Gill to build bridges.

"If we sign Kaka from Milan, I can assure you that we will still have a very good relationship with [vice president Adriano] Galliani."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Martinez agrees Wigan deal
Whelan expects Swansea boss to sign three-year deal on Wednesday

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan expects to confirm the appointment of Roberto Martinez as the club's new manager on Wednesday.

The Premier League club have moved for Swansea boss Martinez after Steve Bruce left to join top-flight rivals Sunderland.

Martinez, who spent six years as a player with Wigan, is one of the most highly-rated young managers in the game and was also the subject of an approach from Celtic.

However, he has now agreed a three-year contract to return to the JJB Stadium and Whelan is excited by the prospect of the Spaniard replacing Bruce.

"Everything is virtually agreed and the only reason it's not been signed up is because I'm in Majorca," Whelan told Sky Sports News.

"I'm due back on Wednesday and the deal will be completed on Wednesday afternoon, and we'll have a press conference on Thursday.

"It's 99 per cent certain that Roberto Martinez will be our new manager. Everything is in place and the contract will be a three-year deal."
Excited

Whelan will pay Swansea in excess of £1million in compensation and he is backing Martinez to become one of the leading managers in English football.

He added: "I'm hoping that Roberto stays with us for quite a long time. I was really sad to lose Steve Bruce, who was a great manager for Wigan Athletic, but Roberto was one of my 'three amigos' and he is a wonderful man and knows football inside out.

"He has done remarkably well at Swansea. We at Wigan, and all the supporters, are very, very excited at getting Roberto Martinez."

When asked if he was confident Martinez could be a success in the Premier League, Whelan replied: "Can you ever be absolutely satisfied that anybody can step up to the Premier League? The answer to that is no.

"The Premier League is the best league in the world and the most difficult league in the world to survive in.

"Roberto first came to us when Wigan were in the fourth division and he stayed with us for four or five years and he has gone and done wondrous things in management.

"There is no reason why he cannot come into Wigan and be a top quality manager in the Premier League. If I'm being very honest, I predict Roberto will go on to be one of the top four or six managers within four or five years."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Blues close on Espinoza
Sullivan confirms club are looking to tap into South American market

Birmingham City have confirmed the club are close to signing a South American defender, with Giovanny Espinoza expected to arrive at St Andrews.

Blues have already clinched a club record deal for Espinoza's compatriot Cristian Benitez and are making further forays into the South American market.

Co-owner David Sullivan outlined the credentials of the prospective new signing, with Barcelona Sporting Club stopper Espinoza fitting the bill.
Trying for quality

"We hope that within two weeks to bring in another South American player - an established international who has played 80 times for his country and will put some backbone into our defence," Sullivan told the Birmingham Post.

"We're hoping to sign a few more players from South America in the next two to three weeks. We've worked harder in the last three weeks than we've worked at anything.

"People don't know what is going on behind the scenes, this has been going on 18 hours a day for about ten days.

"Myself and Karren Brady are working on about another 10 or 15 other deals. We won't get them all, we know that, but we hope to land three or four of them.

"What we are trying to buy this time is quality, last time we brought numbers and I don't think it worked. We're trying to buy quality and hope two or three of them really come good and make a difference on the pitch. We hope to make a number of signings this summer.

"We are chasing six centre-halves at the moment, if we get two of them then we will be pleased. The demand for very modest players is very scary. We've got to try to spend our money wisely and hope that some of the players turn out better than what they cost."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Yeboah on Blues wish list
Ghana star would welcome move to England

Ghanaian striker Samuel Yeboah is said to be a big-money target for newly-promoted Birmingham.

The ambitious Blues are looking to piece together a side capable of competing among the Premier League elite next season.

They have already shelled out a club record fee to land Ecuadorian ace Cristian Benitez and are reported to be tracking a host of other targets.

Hapoel Tel Aviv frontman Yeboah is the latest to be linked with a switch to St Andrews, and the African ace admits he would welcome the opportunity to test himself in England.

"I dream of playing in England every day of my life.

"It is only speculation at the moment, so I can't say much, but if I score for Ghana this weekend (in a World Cup qualifier against Mali) that would send a statement to the scouts who are coming to watch."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Terry delighted with Ancelotti
Blues skipper welcomes Italian ethics

Chelsea skipper John Terry says he could not be happier with the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti.

Since his arrival at Stamford Bridge, the Italian has been linked with a number of high-profile players.

The former AC Milan boss has set his sights on a host of big names in a bid to help boost Chelsea's Premier League title and UEFA Champions League hopes.

After failing in their quest for European glory on recent occasions, Terry says Ancelotti's ambition is welcome at Stamford Bridge.

With his sights firmly set on Champions League glory, the Blues skipper admits the calibre of players connected with the club bodes well for the future.
Delighted

"Since Carlo Ancelotti arrived as our new manager, we have been linked with top players that can take us to the next level. I'm delighted with that," said Terry.

"The new manager will also hopefully bring something different and can help us make that extra step."

With Fabio Capello managing the current England side, Terry is now bossed by two Italians.

The Blues skipper, though, admits both his club and country can benefit from the style of play.

"The Italian work ethic is tactics," he added. "Ever since Fabio Capello took over with England, he has been strong on that and I'm sure Ancelotti will be the same."

Praise

Terry says Ancelotti comes with high praise from the likes of David Beckham and Andriy Shevchenko.

"I have heard some great things about him from Becks and Shevchenko," he added.

"They say, man-to-man, he is the best they have worked with. He has experience and has been right at the top."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Quinn - Bruce can unearth gems
Black Cats chairman praises transfer acumen of new boss

Niall Quinn is hoping Steve Bruce can continue to find 'rough diamonds' after taking charge at Sunderland.

The former Birmingham and Wigan boss has earned a reputation over the years for identifying hidden gems in the transfer market.

He has never had the luxury of working with a sizeable budget and that has forced him to be prudent in his pursuit of new recruits.

It is a philosophy with has paid dividends so far and Black Cats chairman Quinn has challenged Bruce to continue that trend at the Stadium of Light.

"His experience does count for a lot in this appointment, there's no doubt about that," he said.

"He has taken many a rough diamond and polished them up beautifully, and the clubs he has been with have benefited.

"We hope he can do that for us. The good thing he feels right now is he has been told, 'We trust you, your record has been very good on that. If the deal is smart and it's intelligent, we will do it'.

"But he also knows we have some very good players at the football club and he has given them a big thumbs-up because individually, we have some great players, there's no doubt about that.

"I think we will get the best of both worlds. He will gel what we have, we will see a different team spirit. I hope to see a togetherness next year, all the things a good Sunderland team needs.

"If we can get it right in the transfer market as well, then we have a real chance."
Risk

Meanwhile, Quinn has revealed his relief at seeing Sunderland preserve their Premier League status last season.

Taking a gamble on appointing the inexperienced Ricky Sbragia following Roy Keane's departure could have proved disastrous, and Quinn admits he would have blamed himself had the club slipped into the second tier.

He said: "I felt had things not worked out and had Ricky not got over the line, I was culpable.

"It was a gamble - I admit it was a gamble, but it's a gamble that paid off.

"I understand the consequences if it went wrong, but that's why I am in the position I am and that's why I have to make the decisions I do.

"It worked this time, so now I have got to take advantage of that.

"Ricky has given me the opportunity to take advantage of that, and I am thrilled that Steve has agreed to come and drive it on now."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Tigers trio make Italy trip
Hull boss pleased with progress injured trio are making

Hull will take long-term injury trio Ian Ashbee, Jimmy Bullard and Anthony Gardner on next month's pre-season training camp to Italy.

Boss Phil Brown says all three are set to feature on the training ground "in some shape" in early July as they continue their bid to return to fitness.

Bullard has been out since January with an anterior cruciate ligament, Gardner has been missing since March with a fractured vertebrae while Ashbee missed the final three games of last season after rupturing his posterior cruciate ligament.

Brown told the club's official website: "Jimmy, Anthony and Ian will all be at different levels of fitness.
Working hard

"The plans have fitted in well in terms of the amount of rest they will need because they have already been working hard.

"But by the time we get to Bormio in Italy, hopefully all three will be on the training ground in some shape.

"Whether that is in full-tilt training, just short of full-tilt training or just rehabilitation we'll see, but they'll certainly all be going to Bormio."

Brown hailed the club's medical staff in helping the trio's rehabilitation.

"It's testimony to the backroom staff that we have got at this club that we have gone on a one-to-one basis with them and are almost living in the pockets of the players to get the three of them somewhere near come July 8th," he said.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Davies - I'm good enough
Villa defender responds to critics of his form

Curtis Davies insists he is 'good enough' to play for Aston Villa following claims that he suffered a loss of form in the second half of the season.

The centre-half was a key figure in the Villa side last term, but has faced accusations that the injury to Martin Laursen impacted on his own performances.

The former West Brom defender has responded to his critics and is confident he is worthy of his place in Martin O'Neill's team.

"I think it is funny when people say, 'am I good enough?'," said Davies in the Birmingham Mail.

"I don't think the gaffer would have signed me if I wasn't good enough.

"I played 45 games last year. Would I have played that many if I wasn't good enough?

"I am sure the manager would have found me out by now. But it is up to people to think whatever they want.

"The main thing for me is to go out there and to play whatever is in front of me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
McMahon accepts Anfield offer
Shrewsbury assistant to join Reds

John McMahon is to leave his coaching role at Shrewsbury and join Liverpool as reserve-team coach.

McMahon joined Shrewsbury from Tranmere in 2005, but admits the lure of a move to Merseyside was too great.

He is now looking forward to working with manager Rafa Benitez as the Reds chase the Premier League title.

"If any Premier League club comes knocking at your door it is something that you have to consider and with it being Liverpool it was a job that I couldn't refuse," he told the club's official website.

"To work with a manager of the quality of Rafa Benitez and an assistant manager like Sammy Lee is brilliant and it's a place where I can continue to learn and develop as a coach and hopefully give them something back.

"Ultimately I would have liked to have left the club with them being promoted but it wasn't the case.

"I've really enjoyed my time with Shrewsbury and the chairman, manager, the staff, players and spectators have been fantastic to me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Clubs chase City midfielder
Fernandes keen to play regular first-team football

Gelson Fernandes' agent has revealed several clubs are chasing the unsettled Manchester City midfielder.

The Switzerland international started just three Premier League games last season after being pushed on to the fringes of Mark Hughes' plans by a raft of big-money signings.

Fernandes has admitted he will have to consider his future at City, with Premier League trio Bolton, Fulham and Portsmouth all linked with bids.

Celtic, Hamburg and Monaco have also reportedly shown an interest in the past and the 22-year-old's agent Marcel Schmid confirmed several clubs are monitoring the situation.
Unhappy

"He is quite unhappy about his situation," said Schmid. "City have spent an awful lot of money on players who are very similar to him and they will play them because they cost a lot of money - not because they are better.

"He wants to be playing not for 10 or 12 minutes every time. He wants to play for 90 minutes because he's that sort of player.

"What we have is a lot of talk with several clubs in several countries.

"There are at least half a dozen clubs in various countries talking to us now, but it is not at a stage where we can say there is an offer.

"Clubs are trying to find out behind the scenes whether Gelson will be available or not.

"First of all, they have to find out if they can afford him. Secondly, we have to see from a sporting point of view whether he is prepared to go there.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Cottagers keen on Doumbia
African ace catching the eye

Ivorian striker Seydou Doumbia is reported to be attracting interest from Premier League outfit Fulham.

The African star caught the eye last season after excelling for Young Boys of Berne in the Swiss top flight.

A number of promising displays are believed to have attracted attention from a host of French clubs, including Lille, St Etienne, Rennes, Monaco and Le Mans.

Fulham are also said to be interested, with manager Roy Hodgson maintaining a number of contacts in Switzerland following his time in charge of their national side.

Doumbia admits the speculation surrounding his future is very flattering, but he has questioned whether he is ready to make the step up to a major European division at 21 years of age.

"I have heard a lot about moving from Young Boys, but it is only rumours," he told skysports.com.

"Fulham in the Premier League? It is flattering, but I am still young and I want to prove myself here before joining a top league.

"All this is in the hands of my club and my agent. I am calm and will wait to see what happens.

"But one day I will play in England or Spain, as they are the best leagues in the world."