Time for a new box should I get a eddision mega

Bacardi

Registered
I'm moving house and I've decided to get a new box seeing as I can get cable in my area. I'm considering getting a eddision mega as it has two dvb s2 tuners and a dvb s2/t/c tuner which can also run Kodi 17. They seem a reasonable price but I not had any experience a eddision always had vu or humax (I do miss my old 5400).

What are the eddision mega boxes like, not a great support on here so are they not very good, or does anyone have any other suggestions for a triple tuner box around the £200 mark (would prefer 2x dvb c tuners but not critical.

Thanks in advance

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
Edison looks like competent receiver. However, if you spend just a little bit more you could get the new Octagon SF4008. Means triple tuners (one dedicated to DVB-C/T/T2) and DVB-S2X. UHD box with plenty of memory.

Kodi is selling point but still in alpha/beta and may not work. I saw it in feed but didn't work on my box when I tried it.

digi247

Registered
4K is still in its Infancy and the only free channels are either shopping or Demo loops, I bought the Solo 4K on launch and wish i had never bothered.

I have had the Edision OS Mini in both sinlge DVB-S2 and DVB-C/T/T2 forms and its a very capable receiver i would imagine the Mega with its faster processor is probably a Solo2 killer.

I would agree with Gammal Gubbe as the SF4008 gives you DVB-S2X and 4K but they are still in the infancy stage and may take a few years to develop properly.

The Mega sounds like a very good buy and is well supported image wise

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
4K is still in its Infancy and the only free channels are either shopping or Demo loops, I bought the Solo 4K on launch and wish i had never bothered.

I have had the Edision OS Mini in both sinlge DVB-S2 and DVB-C/T/T2 forms and its a very capable receiver i would imagine the Mega with its faster processor is probably a Solo2 killer.

I would agree with Gammal Gubbe as the SF4008 gives you DVB-S2X and 4K but they are still in the infancy stage and may take a few years to develop properly.

The Mega sounds like a very good buy and is well supported image wise

You are right about 4K still being very new and no channels except some demo loops. This is today, we don't know what it will looke like in two years time (it could be like 3D channels, a fad that never took off). Speaking for myself I don't want to buy a new box again this soon, which is why I went for the Octagon which supports both 4K & DVB-S2X. I don't even own 4K tv yet but next one will be such.

Anyway, box is made for 4K / UHD and when I downscale to 1080p I really get excellent picture quality. It should be able to play 4K downloads too but that I haven't tested. Overall I feel this box is more value for money than the Edison. Box can be configured with two DVB-C/T/T2 and one DVB-S2X if needed.

digi247

Registered
You are right about 4K still being very new and no channels except some demo loops. This is today, we don't know what it will looke like in two years time (it could be like 3D channels, a fad that never took off). Speaking for myself I don't want to buy a new box again this soon, which is why I went for the Octagon which supports both 4K & DVB-S2X. I don't even own 4K tv yet but next one will be such.

Anyway, box is made for 4K / UHD and when I downscale to 1080p I really get excellent picture quality. It should be able to play 4K downloads too but that I haven't tested. Overall I feel this box is more value for money than the Edison. Box can be configured with two DVB-C/T/T2 and one DVB-S2X if needed.

I have a 4K TV and with everything else no standard is set yet for DVB-S2 broadcasts apart from maybe HLG which is basically the Broadcast standard for HDR. Now my Solo4K had driver updates for HDR compatibility but there is nothing set in stone to say it will be HLG compliant it should be but this standard could change also.

The same as your SF4008 in 2 years time when we have more broadcasts the standards will have changed i can guarantee it and your box will not be out if date, lets not forget Tech that is brought out this year is actually R&D'd from last year on that specification there will never be a Box released that can keep up with the ever changing DVB-S2X standards if there where manufacturers would never sell anything.

Personally i upgrade at least once a year to try and keep up with newer technologies.

Bacardi

Registered
Does the octagon have a skin that looks like sly so the misses can use it. I take it it can't run kodi or kodidirect

digi247

Registered
Does the octagon have a skin that looks like sly so the misses can use it. I take it it can't run kodi or kodidirect

The Sly Skin will work on any Linux Enigma2 receiver, as for Kodi it should do the Full blown effort such as the Solo2 as it does have the necessary horsepower Dual core 1700mhz CPU, dont quote me on that.

**Edit**

Just checked and the OpenATV image supports the Full Blown Kodi option for this receiver

Last edited: