cricket news

mukhtiyar

India will bounce back against Lanka: Laxman

NEW DELHI: India were "unlucky" to lose the One-day series against Australia and the team will bounce back to tame the Sri Lankans in the VVS Laxman upcoming Test and ODI series, feels senior batsman V V S Laxman.

"They were unlucky to lose the series against Australia," Laxman said.

"The players are hurt but the defeat is not going to affect the team's morale," he added.

The stylish right-hander said Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men would be striving to achieve the number one Test ranking by beating the Lankans in the three-Test series starting November 16.

"The team is targetting the number one spot in Test rankings and has a very good chance of reaching there if we win the series against Sri Lanka," he said.

However, he said the task would not be easy as the visitors have a balanced side with both bowling and batting being strong.

"Sri Lankans are a better-prepared side now and can give the Indians tough time during the series," he told 'News24 channel'.

Speaking about India's performance in the ongoing seven-ODI series against an injury-ravaged Australia, which the hosts trail 2-4, Laxman rejected suggestions that skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni's leadership was at fault.

mukhtiyar

Pietersen recharged for SA tour

Kevin Pietersen said he was feeling physically and mentally refreshed after joining up with the rest of the England squad in South Africa.

Pietersen has spent the last three months recovering from surgery to an Achilles tendon, an injury that forced him to miss the last three Ashes Tests.
"I'm feeling good and I'm feeling fresh mentally," said England's star batsman.
"I'm certainly not going to rush things, I tried that a while back and I got an infection in the wound." On Wednesday, the 29-year-old faced several net bowlers as well as spin coach Mushtaq Ahmed, and also ran between the wickets.
It was his first outdoor net session since July, and after arriving for the two-and-a-half-month tour to the country of his birth on Tuesday, he said he was raring to go.
"The fitness is not too bad," he said. "I've done some rigorous training over the last six weeks, I've done a lot of work at Lord's in the last week.
"I had a bad day on my Achilles on Tuesday, but I think that was just purely down to the flight. I've woken up feeling really good.
"I enjoyed the break to refresh my batteries, to get myself right and ready to know that I can compete again and want to compete again.
"But I hated getting injured because I wanted to continue playing, to be a part of what was a successful summer. But now to be back in an England tracksuit is great."
Pietersen has endured a difficult year, which began with him as England captain, a position he subsequently relinquished following a very public row with former coach Peter Moores.
His Achilles problem meant he missed out on England regaining the Ashes before an infection caused more complications that caused him to miss the Champions Trophy.
"I think it's common knowledge what got on top of me during the first half of the year, things that happened back in the UK and the pressure was just mounting up," he said.
"Anything I seemed to do seemed to be a mistake and it was a great test of character.
"I've just treated this break as something to get my head right, to get myself back in love with the game.
"I hated missing fixtures for England, I really wanted to be part of a successful Ashes campaign.
"I missed out on a lot of cricket that I would have been playing. But I used the break to try and get my head right and to get myself ready, fit and raring to go again and I feel good now."
England completed their warm-up programme with a disappointing four-wicket loss to South Africa A on Tuesday.
They play the first of two Twenty20 internationals on Friday, followed by a five-match one-day series and four Tests.
And Pietersen is hoping they can continue the momentum of the Ashes, unlike their post-2005 performance, which saw them lose in Pakistan.
"I think the team looks like they're really on fire to do some good things out here in South Africa and to be really competitive," he said.
"I'm very encouraged to hear all the positive things that have been said to me by the players over what's happened in the past couple of weeks.
"I just don't want us to make the same mistake we made in 2005 where we sort of went on a downhill slope after what was a fantastic summer.
"I think we're all encouraged and all really keen to make sure that this is a really successful campaign post such a successful Ashes as well."

mukhtiyar

SCG in fight to retain Ashes Test

The famous Sydney Cricket Ground could lose its Ashes Test in 2011 as doubts resurface about venues in the city.

Test cricket has been played at the SCG since 1882 but the ground's capacity is 44,000, compared to the 80,000-seat ANZ Stadium, home to the 2000 Olympics.
Cricket NSW considered switching to the bigger venue in 2004 before settling on a new deal with the SCG, but that ends in September and new talks are planned.
"It's about finding the best deal going forward," NSW boss Dave Gilbert said.
"I know Test cricket will be a difficult one to do at this stage - and you have to weigh up tradition and history and the drama at the SCG - but when I was a kid growing up at the SCG, rugby league Test matches and union Test matches were only ever at the SCG, but not anymore.
"If you're a 15-year-old kid, you've only ever known big sport events to be played at ANZ Stadium - that's not meant to be an inflammatory comment, it's a fact.
"ANZ is focused on getting a major cricket match to its venue. If you take the heat and emotion out of it, as CEO of Cricket NSW, I have to do what is best for cricket to generate revenue to keep this game going, and this is what this process is about."
The Olympic stadium is situated in Homebush Bay in the western suburbs of Sydney, with the SCG more centrally located, some two miles from the Central Business District.
NSW have played Twenty20 matches at the Olympic stadium for the last two years, but Australia batsman Simon Katich was unsure about the possibility of an Ashes Test being held there.
"It would be a surprise if there wasn't an Ashes Test at the SCG but who knows?" he said. "The game's changing all the time, so you never know which direction it could head."
However, the SCG Trust, which looks after the ground and also the adjacent Sydney Football Stadium, remains confident of keeping major internationals at the historic ground.
"There has been no discussion with Cricket NSW at this stage so we're not sure what they're bringing to the table, but we look forward to all international cricket remaining at the SCG," spokesman Greg Campbell said.

mukhtiyar

Final India-Australia ODI washed out

Mumbai: The seventh and final one-dayer between India and Australia at the D Y Patil Stadium here was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to heavy unseasonal rains in the wake of a cyclonic storm over the Arabian Sea.

The wash-out of the the day-night encounter meant that Australia clinched the series by a 4-2 margin.

The two teams did not even have to come to the ground. It drizzled continuously since the morning leaving the outfield soggy and increased its intensity two hours before the scheduled commencement of the clash.

Rains stopped for a brief while an hour and a half after the scheduled start and the ground authorities were pressed into service for mop-up operations. But even as the job was being done more rains fell.

mukhtiyar

Hussey top run-getter, Watson most wickets in ODI series

Mumbai: Australian batsman Mike Hussey emerged as the top run-getter, while compatriot Shane Watson scalped the most wickets in the seven-match ODI series against India.

Hussey amassed 313 runs from the six matches -the final one-dayer here being washed out -at an average of 104.33 with the highest score being 81 not out in the third ODI in Delhi, to lead the list of run scorers from both the sides.

Watson bagged 10 wickets at an average of 22. His best figures were 3/29. The all-rounder also had a good run with the bat as he scored 256 runs at 42.66.

Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was the second most run scorer with 285 at an average of 57 with 124 being the best innings.

Sachin Tendulkar was third with 275 runs at 45.83. His highest score was 175 in the fifth match in Hyderabad.

Australian pacers Doug Bollinger and Mitchell Johnson scalped nine wickets apiece to be placed second and third respectively among wicket takers from both sides.

Bollinger bagged five for 35, while Johnson picked three for 39 in the sixth ODI in Guwahati to help Australia clinch the series.

Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh and pacer Ashish Nehra held the fourth and fifth place with eight and seven wickets at an average of 33.87 and 40.85 respectively.

mukhtiyar

ucky losers: India cricketers with Bollywood beauties and bigwigs

Indian cricketers get a chance to hang out with bollywood beauties at the Sahara Indian Sports Awards.
What a babe!
Crickter Yuvraj Singh and Riya Sen present award to Abhinav Bindra. He won 'Sportsman of the Year and Most Memorable Moment Award 2008-09

Deepika and Dhoni
Actress Deepika Padukone presenting an award to MS Dhoni, the Indian Cricket Team won the award of Best Team 2008-09 at the Sahara Indian Sports Awards
Delhi lads
Gautam Gambhir, Mr. Subrata Roy Sahara, Managing Worker & Chairman, Sahara India Pariwar and Sehwag

mukhtiyar

Lee's Test hopes will hinge on first class performance: Ponting

Sydney: Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting has said that fast bowler Brett Lee will have to use the first class route at home to force his way back into the Test team.

Ponting said Lee would have to prove he was over his elbow injury when New South Wales plays Tasmania in Sydney next week.

"You can get away from bowling in the nets, but it is intensity in a match, if anything, that will bring you undone if you have a niggle," Ponting said.

"Hopefully, he gets through that game," the Herald Sun quoted Ponting, as saying in Mumbai

Lee and Peter Siddle are high-profile casualties of an Australian one-day tour of India that also felled all-rounders James Hopes, Moises Henriques (both hamstring) and wicketkeeper-batsman Tim Paine (broken finger).

Lee''s bone-spur ailment did not respond to cortisone treatment in India. His tour lasted only six overs of the series-opener at Vadodara.

Kountouris said Lee had bowled well in Sydney off 10-15 paces in his first session since the injury.

"We will see how he goes later in the week with a view to getting him right for the Shield game," he said.

Lee, 33, said he felt fine after bowling on Monday and hoped his elbow did not flare before he bowled again tomorrow

"I will see how we go from there," Lee said.

There is a queue of candidates, including left-armer Doug Bollinger, swing bowler Ben Hilfenhaus and seamer Stuart Clark, for a Test spot backing Siddle and Mitchell Johnson for the first Test at the Gabba.

Kountouris said Cricket Australia had been cautious in its approach to Siddle''s injury to minimise the chances of him aggravating what can turn into a nightmare injury for fast bowlers.

"As planned, Peter is having a week off and the expectation is he will bowl next week in time in preparation for the Test," Kountouris said.

Lee has already declared he will produce the trademark pace he has shown in his 76-Test career or bust, regardless of injury.

gune_ayya

Registered
Pakistan crush limp New Zealand

Imran Nazir scored 58 in 38 balls as Pakistan beat New Zealand in the first of two Twenty20 games in Dubai.

After a fine start, Pakistan stuttered to 161-8 with Abdul Razzaq (26 not out) and Shahid Afridi (24) impressing as seamer Tim Southee took 3-28.

The injury-hit Kiwis struggled as no-one outscored Bradley-John Watling and Nathan McCullum, who both made 22.

Razzaq was able to show his all-round skills, taking 2-9 as Pakistan cruised to victory by 49 runs.

Following their hard-earned win in the one-day international series against Pakistan on Monday in Abu Dhabi, New Zealand went into the shorter format without captain Daniel Vettori, Kyle Mills and Jacob Oram.

After surviving some early scares, opener Nazir soon ripped into seamer Ian Butler, who conceded 42 from three overs.

The New Zealand cause was also not helped when part-time spinner Aaron Redmond - bowling for the first time in international limited-overs cricket - pulled out in the middle of his third over with a groin strain.

The hard work of pace bowler Shane Bond (2-17) was soon rewarded with Nazir's scalp before Afridi and Razzaq 24 guided Pakistan to a reasonable if unimpressive knock with Southee also shining with the ball.

Left-arm paceman Sohail Tanvir sent Martin Guptill packing in the very first over, and stand-in skipper Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor soon followed to leave the Kiwis on 34-3.

Razzaq then dismissed Scott Styris and Neil Broom and the victory was soon wrapped up after Nathan McCullum's lively 22 off 21 balls was brought to an end.

Wicketkeeper Watling made a steady 22 on his New Zealand debut, but with Redmond unable to bat, the Black Caps were a man short and were dismissed for 112.

The second match will be played at the same stadium on Friday, with the Kiwis buoyed by the news that Vettori had been given the all-clear after a scan on a head injury suffered during the second one-day international.

mukhtiyar

Dilshan hopeful of playing opening Test

The Sri Lankan team were visibly disappointed as they were deprived of some valuable match practice for the second day in succession, thanks to unexpected rains.

Though the main wicket was fit for play during the latter half of the day, the umpires decided to call off the second day’s proceedings as the side-pitches were still soggy.

However, the Lankan camp had something to cheer about, as Tillakaratne Dilshan showed encouraging signs of recovery from his ankle injury. In fact, he even had a light batting practice and the Lankan team manager Brendon Kuruppu said he is expected to play the first Test, starting from November 16. Even though the rains forced the Lankan players to stay indoors, they utilized the MCA centre’s excellent indoor facilities to sharpen their cricketing ss.

Though the visiting team is curious to go out in the middle and get a feel of the Indian conditions, they didn’t appear too keen on converting the three-day practice game against Board President XI into a one-dayer after losing the first two days to rain. The team management doesn’t want the players to go into the Test series with an ODI mindset.

As per the news trickling in from the Lankan camp, the team might leave for Ahmedabad a day earlier and try to get some practice at the Motera stadium, where the first Test will be played.

mukhtiyar

B'desh announce tri-nation series

Bangladesh will host a tri-nation ODI series featuring India and Sri Lanka in January next year in Dhaka, the Bangladesh Cricket Board announced.
Bangladesh take on Sri Lanka in the opening match on January 4 and the two top teams will face off in the final on January 13.
Each team play will play the other twice, all day-night games.
While Sri Lanka return home after the contest, India will remain for two back-to-back Tests against Bangladesh in Chittagong and Dhaka.

Tri-nations schedule:
January 4: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka
January 5: India v Sri Lanka
January 7: Bangladesh v India
January 8: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka
January 10: Sri Lanka v India
January 11: Bangladesh v India
January 13: Final
Test series:
January 17-21: India v Bangladesh first Test, Chittagong
January 24-28: India v Bangladesh second Test, Dhaka

mukhtiyar

Pakistan v NZ, 1st Twenty20 international, Dubai Feeble NZ sink to 49-run defeat

Pakistan innings (20 overs maximum)

R
B
4s
6s
SR
Imran Nazir c Redmond b Bond 58 38 5 4 152.63
11.2 an important wicket, lands on a good length outside off, makes room and slices it straight into the palms of Redmond at third man 92/3

Kamran Akmal† c Bond b Southee 13 15 2 0 86.66

5.5 Kamran's gone, tried to clear mid-on but didn't get it off the middle, chipped it to Bond who ran a few paces to his right and snapped a testing chance 34/1

Umar Akmal c †Watling b Styris 3 6 0 0 50.00

7.6 the slower one does the trick, Umar was going for everything out there and tried to slog-sweep that good-length delivery over midwicket, was deceived by the pace and got the top edge, Watling, running back, took a well-judged overhead catch. His debut catch, that 56/2

Shahid Afridi* c Southee b Redmond 24 16 2 1 150.00

12.4 brilliantly taken by Southee, Afridi's staying his ground. Tossed up outside off, he took it from a good length, coming down the track, and struck it hard and flat towards long-off where Southee, taking a couple of steps coming in, snaps it inches from the ground, an excellent low catch and replays confirm it was clean 101/4

Shoaib Malik c & b Redmond 6 7 0 0 85.71

14.5 Redmond imitates the Afridi celebration again! Tossed up again, lands on a length on middle and Malik drills it straight back to him and he accepts it gleefully, bending to his left 116/5

Fawad Alam c Butler b Bond 15 14 0 0 107.14

17.2 short, Butler, who's had a bad day today, ends up taking a sharp catch at third man, it was cut hard towards him but he managed to cup it in front of his face, slipped and crashed on his back but held on 134/6

Abdul Razzaq not out 26 15 3 1 173.33

Sohail Tanvir c NL McCullum b Southee 12 8 1 1 150.00

19.3 almost cleared the ropes again but got far more elevation than he would have wanted, in the slot on middle and he picked it well in his attempt to clear long-on but couldn't quite succeed, Nathan McCullum judged it to perfection 158/7

Mohammad Aamer c sub (JEC Franklin) b Southee 2 2 0 0 100.00

19.6 attempting the scoop over short-fine, it's a full toss on the off stump, gets the top edge and Franklin takes it well running to his back 161/8

Extras (w 1, nb 1) 2

Total (8 wickets; 20 overs) 161 (8.05 runs per over)
Did not bat Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal
Fall of wickets1-34 (Kamran Akmal, 5.5 ov), 2-56 (Umar Akmal, 7.6 ov), 3-92 (Imran Nazir, 11.2 ov), 4-101 (Shahid Afridi, 12.4 ov), 5-116 (Shoaib Malik, 14.5 ov), 6-134 (Fawad Alam, 17.2 ov), 7-158 (Sohail Tanvir, 19.3 ov), 8-161 (Mohammad Aamer, 19.6 ov)

Bowling

O
M
R
W
Econ

SE Bond 4 1 17 2 4.25

11.2 to Imran Nazir, an important wicket, lands on a good length outside off, makes room and slices it straight into the palms of Redmond at third man 92/3
17.2 to Fawad Alam, short, Butler, who's had a bad day today, ends up taking a sharp catch at third man, it was cut hard towards him but he managed to cup it in front of his face, slipped and crashed on his back but held on 134/6

TG Southee

4 0 28 3 7.00

5.5 to Kamran Akmal, Kamran's gone, tried to clear mid-on but didn't get it off the middle, chipped it to Bond who ran a few paces to his right and snapped a testing chance 34/1
19.3 to Sohail Tanvir, almost cleared the ropes again but got far more elevation than he would have wanted, in the slot on middle and he picked it well in his attempt to clear long-on but couldn't quite succeed, Nathan McCullum judged it to perfection 158/7
19.6 to Mohammad Aamer, attempting the scoop over short-fine, it's a full toss on the off stump, gets the top edge and Franklin takes it well running to his back 161/8

IG Butler

3 0 42 0 14.00 (1nb)

SB Styris

4 0 32 1 8.00

7.6 to Umar Akmal, the slower one does the trick, Umar was going for everything out there and tried to slog-sweep that good-length delivery over midwicket, was deceived by the pace and got the top edge, Watling, running back, took a well-judged overhead catch. His debut catch, that 56/2

NL McCullum 2.1 0 18 0 8.30

AJ Redmond 2.5 0 24 2 8.47 (1w)

12.4 to Shahid Afridi, brilliantly taken by Southee, Afridi's staying his ground. Tossed up outside off, he took it from a good length, coming down the track, and struck it hard and flat towards long-off where Southee, taking a couple of steps coming in, snaps it inches from the ground, an excellent low catch and replays confirm it was clean 101/4
14.5 to Shoaib Malik, Redmond imitates the Afridi celebration again! Tossed up again, lands on a length on middle and Malik drills it straight back to him and he accepts it gleefully, bending to his left 116/5

New Zealand innings (target: 162 runs from 20 overs)

R
B
4s
6s
SR
BB McCullum* c Fawad Alam b Mohammad Aamer 19 13 3 0 146.15
2.6 catching practice, thank you very much, says Fawad Alam, he reaches out to a pitched up delivery outside off and the ball travels quickly off the face of the bat to backward point, Fawad didn't have to move much at all 33/2

MJ Guptill c †Kamran Akmal b Sohail Tanvir 8 4 2 0 200.00

1.5 excellent reflexes! Not the best of deliveries - full and wide outside off and asking to be smashed on the front foot, Guptill flays at it and the ball catches the thick outside edge and Kamran Akmal falls to his right and plucks it one handed 25/1

LRPL Taylor c †Kamran Akmal b Mohammad Aamer 5 8 1 0 62.50

4.2 thick edge! well that run-out chance didnt cost anything, he reaches out to a pitched up delivery outside off gets a thick edge on the drive to Akmal 34/3

SB Styris c Umar Akmal b Abdul Razzaq 4 5 1 0 80.00

6.2 another one bites the dust and New Zealand are in trouble, it was a friendly short delivery which sat up nicely and Styris went for the pull but perhaps didn't spot the fielder in the deep, straight down Umar Akmal's throat at deep square leg 41/4

BJ Watling† st †Kamran Akmal b Saeed Ajmal 22 36 1 0 61.11

15.5 he tries to go over the top by advancing down the pitch, Ajmal cleverly cuts back on the pace and beats the batsman in flight, easy stumping and Watling doesn't have time to drag his foot back 95/6

NT Broom c Umar Gul b Abdul Razzaq 14 16 0 1 87.50

10.2 catching practice again, Broom makes room to try something different and upset the bowler's rhythm, he gets on his knee and tries to slice it over third man but the ball dips and lands straight on Gul's palms 67/5

NL McCullum c Umar Gul b Saeed Ajmal 22 21 0 0 104.76

17.6 chips down the track to deposit it over long-on, he gets underneath the ball but doesn't get enough elevation, easy take for Gul 106/8

IG Butler b Shahid Afridi 1 4 0 0 25.00

16.6 he fires this one towards the pads on seeing the batsman make a bit of room, the ball clips his pads and hits the top of leg stump, Butler seemed to suggest that he wasn't ready, by the time he looked up Afridi was ready to deliver, perhaps he should have backed away 98/7

SE Bond not out 1 1 0 0 100.00

TG Southee c Shoaib Malik b Shahid Afridi 6 3 0 1 200.00

AJ Redmond absent hurt -

Extras (lb 8, w 2) 10

Total (all out; 18.3 overs) 112 (6.05 runs per over)
Fall of wickets1-25 (Guptill, 1.5 ov), 2-33 (BB McCullum, 2.6 ov), 3-34 (Taylor, 4.2 ov), 4-41 (Styris, 6.2 ov), 5-67 (Broom, 10.2 ov), 6-95 (Watling, 15.5 ov), 7-98 (Butler, 16.6 ov), 8-106 (NL McCullum, 17.6 ov), 9-112 (Southee, 18.3 ov)

Bowling

O
M
R
W
Econ

Mohammad Aamer 3 1 21 2 7.00

2.6 to BB McCullum, catching practice, thank you very much, says Fawad Alam, he reaches out to a pitched up delivery outside off and the ball travels quickly off the face of the bat to backward point, Fawad didn't have to move much at all 33/2
4.2 to Taylor, thick edge! well that run-out chance didnt cost anything, he reaches out to a pitched up delivery outside off gets a thick edge on the drive to Akmal 34/3

Sohail Tanvir

4 0 22 1 5.50 (1w)
1.5 to Guptill, excellent reflexes! Not the best of deliveries - full and wide outside off and asking to be smashed on the front foot, Guptill flays at it and the ball catches the thick outside edge and Kamran Akmal falls to his right and plucks it one handed 25/1

Abdul Razzaq

3 0 9 2 3.00

6.2 to Styris, another one bites the dust and New Zealand are in trouble, it was a friendly short delivery which sat up nicely and Styris went for the pull but perhaps didn't spot the fielder in the deep, straight down Umar Akmal's throat at deep square leg 41/4
10.2 to Broom, catching practice again, Broom makes room to try something different and upset the bowler's rhythm, he gets on his knee and tries to slice it over third man but the ball dips and lands straight on Gul's palms 67/5

Umar Gul

2 0 13 0 6.50

Shahid Afridi 3.3 0 21 2 6.00

16.6 to Butler, he fires this one towards the pads on seeing the batsman make a bit of room, the ball clips his pads and hits the top of leg stump, Butler seemed to suggest that he wasn't ready, by the time he looked up Afridi was ready to deliver, perhaps he should have backed away 98/7

Saeed Ajmal

3 0 18 2 6.00 (1w)
15.5 to Watling, he tries to go over the top by advancing down the pitch, Ajmal cleverly cuts back on the pace and beats the batsman in flight, easy stumping and Watling doesn't have time to drag his foot back 95/6
17.6 to NL McCullum, chips down the track to deposit it over long-on, he gets underneath the ball but doesn't get enough elevation, easy take for Gul 106/8

Match details
Toss New Zealand, who chose to field
Series Pakistan led the 2-match series 1-0
T20I debut BJ Watling (New Zealand)
Player of the match Imran Nazir (Pakistan)
Umpires Nadeem Ghauri (Pakistan) and Zameer Haider (Pakistan)
Match referee AJ Pycroft (Zimbabwe)
Reserve umpire Iftikhar Ali
Match notes

Pakistan innings
Pakistan: 50 runs in 6.3 overs (40 balls), Extras 1
Imran Nazir: 50 off 34 balls (4 x 4, 4 x 6)
Pakistan: 100 runs in 12.3 overs (77 balls), Extras 2
Pakistan: 150 runs in 19.1 overs (117 balls), Extras 2
Innings Break: Pakistan - 161/8 in 20.0 overs (Abdul Razzaq 26)
New Zealand innings
New Zealand: 50 runs in 8.1 overs (50 balls), Extras 4
New Zealand: 100 runs in 17.1 overs (105 balls), Extras 10

mukhtiyar

England crash to massive defeat

Loots Bosman and Graeme Smith's world- record stand set South Africa on the way to an 84-run victory over England in the second Twenty20 international.
Bosman (94 off 45 balls) and Smith (88 off 44) put on 170 in just 13 overs before South Africa finished on 241-6 after hitting 17 sixes in Centurion.
With Alastair Cook leading England for the first time, and Kevin Pietersen in the side, England finished on 157-8.
Jonathan Trott hit 51 in a hopeless run chase as the series finished 1-1.
It was a bruising afternoon for England's bowlers, with the Proteas racking up a total just 19 runs short of the best in all Twenty20 internationals.
The bowling ranged from the commendable (James Anderson) to the mediocre and the downright awful with Sajid Mahmood (1-61) the worst offender and Adil Rashid's only over disappearing for 25.
South Africa's batsmen were in the mood to dish out punishment, with Bosman smashing nine sixes and Smith six in a partnership that was a record for any wicket in this format.
Bosman, so close to being the first South African to reach a century at this level, has come into the national side relatively late in his career, but at 32 the Eagles and Mumbai Indians right-hander seems determined to make a lasting impression.
England's build-up had been affected by a back twinge for regular captain Paul Collingwood, with Pietersen appearing two days earlier than scheduled. He was playing his first match since Achilles surgery forced him out of the last three Ashes Tests.
Cook took the captaincy of a national team for the first time since leading England's Under-19 side to the semi-finals of the 2004 World Cup, while Rashid replaced Graeme Swann (sore side).
South Africa made three changes from the side that had lost the first match by one run under the Duckworth/Lewis method.
Back-up wicketkeeper Heino Kuhn got a first international outing, while left-arm seamer Yusuf Abdulla and a more familiar figure in Jacques Kallis also came into the side.
The home side's openers took just 14 runs from the first three overs, but it all went horribly wrong for England as soon as Mahmood was handed the ball at the start of the fourth over.
His first three deliveries were all hit for muscular boundaries by Smith, and there were also two no-balls - one of which was hit by Bosman to mid-off, but the catch, of course, did not count.
The over had cost 21 runs and the floodgates were unleashed as Tim Bresnan was flicked for a Bosman six in the next over, and two of Luke Wright's first three balls - a dreadful long-hop and a thigh-high full-toss were also smashed for maximums.
That left the total 69-0 after six overs, and there was no let-up in the scoring even though England were now allowed extra boundary fielders.
Mahmood was driven high over mid-off for four by Bosman, who then swung a short ball from the Lancashire bowler onto the grassy bank behind deep square-leg.
The 100-run partnership came up in the following over when each batsman clobbered two sixes apiece off Rashid, and Wright was then denied an lbw verdict against Bosman before Smith edged one past the diving Matt Prior for four more.
Smith now heaved a couple more sixes off Bresnan as the run spree continued, and Mahmood's pain continued as another 19 runs came off his third over.
A century for Smith looked a formality, but Joe Denly's first ball for England brought him a wicket when a big lofted drive was caught by Mahmood just inside the ropes at long-on.
Cook elected to give Pietersen two overs, and though he took the predictable punishment a stunning catch by Bresnan at long-on gave him an entry in the wickets column.
Bosman was eventually caught by Anderson, diving forward to give Wright a wicket the Sussex man deserved, but a final assault from AB de Villiers took South Africa to 241-6.
England's response to South Africa's fireworks was the more measured application of Denly and Cook, and frankly they were never likely to get close.
By the time Pietersen got to the wicket at number four, an insurmountable 177 was needed from just 10.3 overs.
Pietersen and Trott, players who had learned their craft on these pitches, did play some bright shots in their first partnership together.
A lovely pulled six off Ryan McLaren gave Trott a 38-ball half-century, which in most circumstances would have been an excellent effort.
He finally fell soon afterwards, before Pietersen - looking reasonably fit and playing some decent shots - made 29 off 19 balls, bowled attempting a switch-hit off Roelof van der Merwe.
Some desperate slogs resulted in a few more easy wickets for the bowlers, with Dale Steyn (2-29) emerging with the best figures.
England's next engagement is at Potchefstroom on Tuesday in a 50 overs-a-side match against South Africa A as they start their build-up to the five match one-day series.

mukhtiyar

England in South Africa T20I Series - 2nd T20I

South Africa innings (20 overs maximum)

GC Smith* c Mahmood b Denly 88 66 44 8 6 200.00 13.1 and he strikes with his first ball in international cricket as Smith picks out long on. Tried to go over his favourite area, but just got underneath it a little and finally a breakthrough 170/1

LL Bosman c Anderson b Wright 94 81 45 5 9 208.88

16.1 oh, what a shame for Bosman, another full toss but this time he doesn't get hold of it...the bat turned in his hand and Anderson makes good ground at deep midwicket to hold a fine catch 204/4

JA Morkel c Bresnan b Pietersen 14 6 6 2 1 233.33

14.4 what a catch...Bresnan at long on as pulled off an absolute blinder as Morkel doesn't quite get enough distance hitting into the wind. Bresnan timed his jump perfectly and plucked the ball 192/2

JP Duminy c Wright b Anderson 2 6 4 0 0 50.00

15.5 another high catch, this time to backward point as Duminy gets a thick outside edge trying to swing hard over the leg side 203/3

AB de Villiers run out (Morgan/†Prior) 24 17 13 3 1 184.61

19.4 from Anderson, swung through square leg, de Villiers chances coming back for a second but doesn't get close...no harm in trying at this stage 238/6

JH Kallis b Mahmood 7 5 5 1 0 140.00

17.3 finally something for Mahmood to enjoy, takes out off stump as Kallis misses a heave across the line...he might have taken some pace off that 214/5

HG Kuhn† not out 5 11 4 0 0 125.00

R McLaren not out 1 2 1 0 0 100.00

Extras (b 2, lb 1, w 1, nb 2) 6

Total (6 wickets; 20 overs; 97 mins) 241 (12.05 runs per over)
Did not bat RE van der Merwe, DW Steyn, YA Abdulla
Fall of wickets1-170 (Smith, 13.1 ov), 2-192 (Morkel, 14.4 ov), 3-203 (Duminy, 15.5 ov), 4-204 (Bosman, 16.1 ov), 5-214 (Kallis, 17.3 ov), 6-238 (de Villiers, 19.4 ov)

Bowling

O

M

R

W

Econ

JM Anderson 4 0 28 1 7.00 (1w)
15.5 to Duminy, another high catch, this time to backward point as Duminy gets a thick outside edge trying to swing hard over the leg side 203/3

TT Bresnan

4 0 48 0 12.00

SI Mahmood

4 0 61 1 15.25 (2nb)
17.3 to Kallis, finally something for Mahmood to enjoy, takes out off stump as Kallis misses a heave across the line...he might have taken some pace off that 214/5

LJ Wright

4 0 40 1 10.00

16.1 to Bosman, oh, what a shame for Bosman, another full toss but this time he doesn't get hold of it...the bat turned in his hand and Anderson makes good ground at deep midwicket to hold a fine catch 204/4

AU Rashid

1 0 25 0 25.00

KP Pietersen

2 0 27 1 13.50

14.4 to Morkel, what a catch...Bresnan at long on as pulled off an absolute blinder as Morkel doesn't quite get enough distance hitting into the wind. Bresnan timed his jump perfectly and plucked the ball 192/2

JL Denly

1 0 9 1 9.00

13.1 to Smith, and he strikes with his first ball in international cricket as Smith picks out long on. Tried to go over his favourite area, but just got underneath it a little and finally a breakthrough 170/1

England innings (target: 242 runs from 20 overs)

R

M

B

4s

6s

SR
JL Denly b Abdulla 14 12 14 2 0 100.00 3.1 first strike for Abdulla, Denly goes for an off-side drive and gets a think inside edge into off stump 20/1

AN Cook* c van der Merwe b Morkel 26 37 21 5 0 123.80

9.3 another pick-up shot from outside off, but finds midwicket on the edge of the circle 65/2

IJL Trott c †Kuhn b Morkel 51 51 40 1 3 127.50

15.1 impressive catch from Kuhn on debut, a huge top edge from Trott and the new keeper called early, made excellent ground towards backward square and steadied himself to hold a fine take 117/3

KP Pietersen b van der Merwe 29 32 19 1 2 152.63

16.4 the switch hit brings his downfall, done in by a quick, full ball and Pietersen was barely in his 'new' stance when the ball arrived 132/4

EJG Morgan b Steyn 10 11 7 2 0 142.85

17.3 I think that's out...full, straight, quick and Morgan is left with only leg-stump standing. Was actually in the hitting arc for Morgan, but he just missed it 144/5

LJ Wright c sub (J Botha) b Steyn 12 8 5 1 1 240.00

17.6 another goes, the ball again goes miles in the air as Wright tries to find the grass banks on the leg side but instead finds Johan Botha 146/6

MJ Prior† not out 10 10 8 1 0 125.00

TT Bresnan c Smith b McLaren 0 2 3 0 0 0.00

18.3 chipped down the ground and Smith takes a sharp running catch moving round from cover 146/7

AU Rashid run out (Kallis) 1 3 2 0 0 50.00

19.2 from Morkel, top fielding from Kallis, direct hit from cover with one stump to aim at and Rashid is short...South Africa have been outstanding today 150/8

SI Mahmood not out 1 2 1 0 0 100.00

Extras (w 3) 3

Total (8 wickets; 20 overs; 84 mins) 157 (7.85 runs per over)
Did not bat JM Anderson
Fall of wickets1-20 (Denly, 3.1 ov), 2-65 (Cook, 9.3 ov), 3-117 (Trott, 15.1 ov), 4-132 (Pietersen, 16.4 ov), 5-144 (Morgan, 17.3 ov), 6-146 (Wright, 17.6 ov), 7-146 (Bresnan, 18.3 ov), 8-150 (Rashid, 19.2 ov)

Bowling

O

M

R

W

Econ

DW Steyn 4 0 29 2 7.25 (1w)
17.3 to Morgan, I think that's out...full, straight, quick and Morgan is left with only leg-stump standing. Was actually in the hitting arc for Morgan, but he just missed it 144/5
17.6 to Wright, another goes, the ball again goes miles in the air as Wright tries to find the grass banks on the leg side but instead finds Johan Botha 146/6

YA Abdulla

4 0 28 1 7.00 (1w)
3.1 to Denly, first strike for Abdulla, Denly goes for an off-side drive and gets a think inside edge into off stump 20/1

R McLaren

4 0 26 1 6.50

18.3 to Bresnan, chipped down the ground and Smith takes a sharp running catch moving round from cover 146/7

RE van der Merwe

4 0 39 1 9.75

16.4 to Pietersen, the switch hit brings his downfall, done in by a quick, full ball and Pietersen was barely in his 'new' stance when the ball arrived 132/4

JA Morkel

4 0 35 2 8.75 (1w)
9.3 to Cook, another pick-up shot from outside off, but finds midwicket on the edge of the circle 65/2
15.1 to Trott, impressive catch from Kuhn on debut, a huge top edge from Trott and the new keeper called early, made excellent ground towards backward square and steadied himself to hold a fine take 117/3

Match details
Toss South Africa, who chose to bat
Series 2-match series drawn 1-1

T20I debut HG Kuhn (South Africa)
Player of the match LL Bosman (South Africa)

Umpires M Erasmus and BG Jerling
TV umpire JD Cloete
Match referee J Srinath (India)
Reserve umpire ZTA Ndamane

Match notes

South Africa innings
South Africa: 50 runs in 4.5 overs (32 balls), Extras 3
1st Wicket: 50 runs in 32 balls (GC Smith 29, LL Bosman 18, Ex 3)
GC Smith: 50 off 25 balls (7 x 4, 3 x 6)
South Africa: 100 runs in 7.5 overs (50 balls), Extras 3
1st Wicket: 100 runs in 50 balls (GC Smith 55, LL Bosman 43, Ex 3)
LL Bosman: 50 off 25 balls (2 x 4, 6 x 6)
South Africa: 150 runs in 11.5 overs (74 balls), Extras 4
1st Wicket: 150 runs in 74 balls (GC Smith 86, LL Bosman 63, Ex 4)
South Africa: 200 runs in 15.2 overs (95 balls), Extras 6
Innings Break: South Africa - 241/6 in 20.0 overs (HG Kuhn 5, R McLaren 1)

England innings
England: 50 runs in 7.6 overs (49 balls), Extras 1
England: 100 runs in 13.2 overs (81 balls), Extras 1
IJL Trott: 50 off 38 balls (1 x 4, 3 x 6)
3rd Wicket: 50 runs in 31 balls (IJL Trott 26, KP Pietersen 24, Ex 0)
England: 150 runs in 19.1 overs (118 balls), Extras 3

mukhtiyar

Flintoff 'on track' for comeback

All-rounder Andrew Flintoff says he is recovering well from knee surgery but concedes he is likely to miss England's tour to Bangladesh early next year.
Flintoff, 31, retired from Tests last summer but still hopes to represent his country in limited-overs cricket.
"My recovery is still on track," the Lancashire star told his website after visiting knee specialist Andy Williams.
"(But) I must admit that saying I would be fit to play in Bangladesh may have been a touch optimistic on my part." England's tour of Bangladesh begins on 28 February with three one-day internationals, before a two-Test series starts on 12 March.
Flintoff turned down an incremental contract offer from England in order to pursue other short-term opportunities but pledged to remain available for their one-day matches.
If he fails to recover in time for the Bangladesh ODIs, his next target is likely to be the 2010 Indian Premier League (IPL) season, which will run from 12 March to 25 April.
His next opportunity to resume his international career would be at the ICC World Twenty20 - which starts almost immediately after the IPL final - before England's summer ODIs against Scotland, Australia and Pakistan.
Last year, Flintoff signed a record $1.55m (£900,000) contract to play for the Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, although his 2009 stint was cut short by injury.
He had surgery in August after helping England regain the Ashes with victory over Australia and was pleased with the findings of his 12-week check-up by Williams.
"I must admit I was a little concerned - I was anxious and it was playing on my mind that he was going to say the operation had not been successful," said Flintoff, who has been carrying out his rehabilitation in Dubai.
"It was the first time the specialist had really looked at my knee since the operation and I had a scan prior to the check-up so he could examine the results. Fortunately, he was very pleased with my progress.
"It was a huge weight off my mind and a big relief that I was on track.
"I know I'm not in the clear yet and there is still a lot of hard work to be done, but so far, so good and it is very good news because if he'd said he was disappointed with my progress I'd have been devastated.
"The important thing is that I am still on track to play again and I am prepared to wait as long as it takes to get back onto the field."
Writing in his blog on his personal website, Flintoff also revealed that he has been advised to adopt a lower-impact training regime in future as he bids to manage his knee complaint for the remainder of his career.
"Quite apart from being pleased with my knee, the other good news I received from the specialist was that he said I should not be doing as much running in my training," he added.
"I would imagine I will still have to do some running to get back in shape, but I think the days of me pounding the treadmill are over. As you can imagine, I was gutted to hear that although I doubt the new regime will be easy."

mukhtiyar

MCC study reveals Test cricket is losing popularity

Melbourne: A study conducted by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), the custodian of the game, has raised fresh doubts on the future of Test cricket.

The study revealed that only seven per cent of followers in cricket-crazy India nominate Tests as their preferred form of the game.

The poll commissioned by Lord's-based MCC covered fans in three countries where Test crowds have declined - India, South Africa and New Zealand.

On the basis of the results MCC's World Cricket Committee have requested the administrators to give the longest form of the game the "loving care and attention" it deserves.

"It's not as if the game is falling apart, but it has been scooped by Twenty20 and I think we would be foolish if we didn't think it was universal," former England captain Tony Lewis, who chairs the committee was quoted as saying by The Age.

MCC is trying to push its cause for Tests to be staged at night and the global Test championship.

The key findings were presented to the International Cricket Council (ICC) earlier this month in Dubai and both groups reaffirmed their commitment to preserving all three forms.

mukhtiyar

England call up Plunkett as cover

Injury-hit England have called seamer Liam Plunkett into their squad for the first two one-day internationals in South Africa, which begin on Friday.
Plunkett, due to join up with England in December for the Test series, is currently with the performance squad.
Opener Alastair Cook was the latest player to join the injury list after he awoke with a stiff back on Tuesday.
He joins James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood and Graeme Swann on the sidelines ahead of the first ODI. None of the injured quintet are playing in Tuesday's 50-over warm-up game against South Africa A - in which England are fielding their 11 remaining fit players.
"We reckon they aren't going to be medium-term injuries. We're hopeful they'll clear up by Friday," said England coach Andy Flower.
Durham seamer Plunkett, 24, has played nine Tests and 27 ODIs, but last featured for his country in July 2007.
Anderson, who played in Sunday's crushing Twenty20 defeat despite not being 100% fit, has a knee injury, while fellow paceman Broad has had injections in his right shoulder.
Spinner Swann has an issue with a muscle in his ribcage and all-rounder Collingwood, another of the regular one-day bowlers, has a long-standing problem with his lower back which has flared up again.

Broad hurt his shoulder in a practice match 11 days ago and missed both Twenty20 internationals against South Africa.
"He's had a number of injections in the past few days and we are waiting to see the reaction to those injections, to see whether it settles," said Flower.
"We had a very heavy summer, then three weeks off and then we started again with gusto in Bloemfontein.
"We worked really hard and unfortunately we have picked up some of these niggles.
"I think in the future we are going to have to target certain periods for strengthening, conditioning programmes for some of these fast bowlers especially and for them to miss the odd international because of it."

mukhtiyar

S Africa decides against referral system

The future of cricket's umpiring referral system became even less clear on Tuesday when South Africa decided against using the technology for its four-test series against England.
The television replay system was meant to be implemented from October 1 after the International Cricket Council approved it, but major cricket nations apparently don't want it and no one wants to pay for it.
South Africa has now followed the precedent set by India when it began its series against Sri Lanka on Monday without the facility to challenge umpires' decisions.
"The Indian board is not very keen on it," said Ratnakar Shetty, chief executive of the Board of Control for Cricket for India.
"We have made that decision and opted not to use it. This is not a problem with the ICC.
"There's an option as a host country to use the technology but we talked to the players and we have reported back that we are not in favour of it. If other countries choose to use it as hosts, then so be it."

mukhtiyar

Fluent Dilshan leads strong Sri Lanka reply

Opener Tillakaratne Dilshan stroked his fifth test century of the year for Sri Lanka who reached 275 for three in reply to India's 426 at the close on the second day of the first test on Tuesday. Dilshan hit 112 and shared in a first-wicket stand of 74 with Tharanga Paranavitana (35) and 115 for the next with skipper Kumar Sangakkara (31) to help the tourists make a solid reply on a good batting pitch at the Motera.
Left-arm pace bowler Zaheer Khan struck crucial blows for India when he dismissed Dilshan and Sangakkara in successive overs but Mahela Jayawardene (36 not out) and Thilan Samaraweera (45 not out) made sure no more wickets fell with a stand of 81.
Dilshan, who scored 92 and 123 not out in the first test against New Zealand in August, recorded his 10th test hundred that featured some fine strokeplay.
Dilshan struck 12 fours and reached his century with a spanking cut for a boundary off Ishant Sharma, but fell to a soft dismissal when he top-edged a slash off Zaheer to be caught by Rahul Dravid running in from gully.
Zaheer, returning from a long injury layoff, forced Sangakkara to miscue a hook in his following over to be caught by Sachin Tendulkar at fine leg.
But former captain Jayawardene and Samaraweera batted with patience and poise as Sri Lanka's steadily built on Dilshan's magnificent effort.
Sri Lanka, who are ranked second behind South Africa in the official test rankings, are aiming to win a test on Indian soil for the first time.
India were bowled out in the morning for the addition of 41 runs to their overnight score and their spinners struggled to derive purchase.
Sri Lanka fast bowler Chanaka Welegedara claimed the prize wicket of Dravid in the third over of the day to provide the visitors with an early breakthrough.
Former captain Dravid failed to improve on his overnight score of 177 which had helped the hosts recover from 32 for four to finish the first day on 385 for six.
Welegedara, playing in a test for the first time in two years, forced Dravid to edge onto the stumps to finish with four for 87.
Spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, whose appearance in the three-match series will be his last overseas test tour, claimed the final two wickets in the same over to finish with three for 97.

mukhtiyar

Opening the batting has made me a better player - Dilshan

Sri Lankan centurion Tillakaratne Dilshan attributed his improvement as an international batsman to his decision to convert into an opener. Dilshan struck a quick 112 to help Sri Lanka reach 275 for three in reply to India's 426 at stumps on the second day of the first test on Tuesday.
Dilshan got an opportunity to open in one-day internationals in January when he replaced an out of form Upul Tharanga.
The explosive batsman was then chosen to open in test match cricket in August during the series against New Zealand and cracked 92 and 123 not out at Galle.
"Changing my spot in the batting order has helped me," Dilshan told reporters after recording his fifth test century in 2009.
"Now there's an opportunity for me to bat longer and I have got runs and I don't want to throw my wicket away."
Dilshan hit 12 fours while scoring his 10th test century and has been consistent at the top of the order in all three forms of the game this year and was named player of the series in the Twenty20 World Cup.
Sri Lanka are aiming to record a first test win on Indian soil in this series.
"Mahela (Jayawardene) and Thilan (Samaraweera) need to bat out the first session and the ball will start turning towards the end and a lead of around 150 will give us an edge," he said.
The unbroken fourth-wicket pair have put on 81.
"The main target we have is to bat longer and get closer to 400 and see how it goes from there. We have two good spinners and if we get that lead we can control things."
India coach Gary Kirsten praised Dilshan's knock.
"Dilshan is a fantastic player, very talented and aggressive. He's a dangerous player, we need to continuously work out how to get him out," he told reporters.

mukhtiyar

Sri Lanka heap pressure on India

Sri Lanka piled on the runs - and the misery - for India on the fourth day of the first Test in Ahmedabad.
Mahela Jayawardene eventually fell for 275 after adding 351 for the sixth wicket - a Test record - with keeper Prasanna Jayawardene (154 not out).
The keeper's second Test century helped the tourists declare on 760-7 - a mammoth 334 ahead on first innings.
Gautam Gambhir's unbeaten 74 helped India reach 190-2 by the close, still 144 behind going into the final day. India had seen former skipper Mahela Jayawardene bat throughout the third day's play to reach 204 not out, and fared little better despite taking the third new ball at the start of play.
He added 71 more, passing 9,000 runs in Tests, before his marathon eight-hour innings was ended when he was bowled by leg-spinner Amit Mishra advancing down the track.
That came after the pair had set a new best sixth-wicket stand in Tests, though, passing Australian duo Jack Fingleton and Don Bradman's 346-run partnership made against England in Melbourne in 1937.
The younger Jayawardene - no relation - remained to pass his previous Test-best innings and push on past the 150 mark, before Dammika Prasad's fall for 21, caught at deep mid-wicket off Harbhajan Singh, prompted the declaration.
It was the highest Test innings score on Indian soil, overtaking India's 676-7 against then in Kanpur in 1986.
Batting to save the match on the fourth afternoon, the aggressive Virender Sehwag smashed seven fours and looked at one stage as if he could replicate his man-of-the-match performance against England in Chennai 11 months ago when India chased down 387 to win.
But one rash shot too many against left-arm spinner Rangana Herath saw him hole out at mid-wicket for 51 off 67 balls having added 81 with Gambhir, who was joined by the reassuring presence of the experienced Rahul Dravid.
When Dravid was adjudged lbw to Chanaka Welegedara, Mishra - who had earlier returned figures of 1-203 from 58 overs - was pressed into service as nightwatchman, and saw Gambhir safely through to the close.
Sri Lanka, who have never won a Test in India, will hope to push for a famous victory on day five.