C-Band/Ka-Band Reception in the UK (Dish Project: LNBs, Dish, Alignment) - Post your results here...

Coastman

Registered
Pleased you are now up and running again i imagine it has been very frustrating for you. Not sure why the problem has occurred with the spider only thing i can think os is to patch it again as assume a while since you used it but it does strange things time to time think its a bug in the software. Will be interested to see the findings you get from the c band part of it as got identical set-up to you and been thinking of going down similar route with the lnb you have mentioned. Do not know about waterproof of the lnb am sure someone will advise. Good luck.

empb

SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug
Staff member
Administrator
Got the Arc tracking just a little alignment to do:

nothing from 3.1E/2.8E or 7.3W

4.8E, 21.6E, 26E, 7E and others not perfect
(Not even getting the 'strong' 21.6°E 10731V 27500 3/4 WideBeam DVB-S QPSK transponder, is it at lower power than normal for you?) :confused:

46E coming in loud thou :)

empb

Staff member
Administrator
4W a few locking at 26% on the Topfield TF4000 signal meter.

7.3W nothing as yet.

3.3E C-Band: 3764H SR 20330 FEC 2/3 (DVB-S QPSK) (Ku-Band looking at 0.8W, so a 4 Degree Offset) Coming in as Vertical (LNB skewed?) on my Humax fine...

Thanks to Colin and his Sat Meter and Patience without which I wouldn't have got as far...but its looking good and close to completion of the project. Pictures to be uploaded in the upcoming few weeks....(Completed in time for the forthcoming FA Premiership & Championship season)

mdt

VIP
Got the Arc tracking just a little alignment to do:

nothing from 3.1E/2.8E or 7.3W

4.8E, 21.6E, 26E, 7E and others not perfect
(Not even getting the 'strong' 21.6°E 10731V 27500 3/4 WideBeam DVB-S QPSK transponder, is it at lower power than normal for you?) :confused:

46E coming in loud thou :)

(Not even getting the 'strong' 21.6°E 10731V 27500 3/4 WideBeam

this is the weakest transponder for me on 21.6east at 5.5/6 db
im getting 72% sq on 12.476.v.27500 on 4.8e and over 450 channels from 7.3w at between 50sq-60sq on my TM6800HD super+ with smart tit lnb.glad your c-band is working though,regards mdt

empb

Staff member
Administrator
im getting 72% sq on 12.476.v.27500 on 4.8e

I'm getting this (TV2 Denmark 12476V 4.8E) at 98%-100% on the Topfield TF4000 PVR's meter now m8, the post you quoted was from over two week ago... (22-06-2013) :D :thum:

As for 7.3W we are further North so more difficult. But agree should get something as Colin's very similair (same dish / lnb but Technomate receiver) set up gets some 7.3W. Maybe just a nudge or two East or West will get me a lock using USUALS or maybe I need a better low threshold receiver like the Technomates.... ;)

Need to lock down the C-Band LNB so it won't move in high winds and then have more of a go at tuning hard to get stuff in..... :D:rolleyes:;)

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Getting the RSCC channels including Rossia 2 (Sport), Rossia 1, Rossia 24 (News), ORT1 Russia (Perviy Kanal1), NTV Russia (HTB)...... :thum:

@ 11°W (Express AM44) 4013R (V*) SR 10050 FEC 3/4 (Global Beam, tp15) Modulation: DVB-S2 8PSK

Hoping Россия 2 (Rossia/Rossiya 2 Sport) still shows UK Footie.... anybody know?

11°W also has a great UK C-Band coverage:

am44-1.gif

I'm looking at a 4° Offset at the moment [Which means of the 1.06m Dish the C-Band is using just under around 1.04m, So anything at 38 dBW or above on the footprints is game....as per the perplesat.com list of C-Band channels]. (It's probably not as good as stacking the LNBs but worried about the High Sea Winds we get at times here in Blackpool)

0.8°W Ku-Band (package UPC Direct etc) = 3.3°E C-Band (Libya LRT etc)
15°W Ku-Band (NBC feeds, EARTH TV, byu tv) = 11°W C-Band (RSCC Channels)

....still struggling with 5°W C-Band, should be around 9°W Ku-Band....watching Rossia for now :thum:

....and as suspected no joy with Yamal 202 @ 49°E, when I point Ku-Band at 45°E....

*On receiver/tuners without the L / R circular polarization selection options H=L and V=R

Coastman

Registered
For empb: As i mentioned i am thinking of going down the route you have with the lnb for c/ku band and have same size dish as you 1.1 so do you feel the effort you have gone to has been worthwhile and are getting out of it what you expected? Also more crucially for me to know since the lnb was put on are you getting then same signal levels on all ku-band transponders that you had before or even better?.

empb

Staff member
Administrator
I am actually getting better Ku signals now (but thats because after testing the Inverto Black Premium Twin V Smart Titanium Universal V An Older MTI? Twin low noise high gain 0.1, decided the older LNB gave noticeably better results on a broad range of sats and freqs) with the older twin MTI? LNB signal so strong the Spiderbox has to have an in-line attenuator to reduce signal strength on very strong sats (eg Astra 19.2E).

But did not go for the Ku/C-Band LNB in the end just one of the newer better noise figure ones (BS421) ie the reason why I mentioned an offset:

I'm looking at a 4° Offset at the moment [Which means of the 1.06m Dish the C-Band is using just under around 1.04m, So anything at 38 dBW or above on the footprints is game....as per the perplesat.com list of C-Band channels]. (It's probably not as good as stacking the LNBs but worried about the High Sea Winds we get at times here in Blackpool)

0.8°W Ku-Band (package UPC Direct etc) = 3.3°E C-Band (Libya LRT etc)
15°W Ku-Band (NBC feeds, EARTH TV, byu tv) = 11°W C-Band (RSCC Channels)

....still struggling with 5°W C-Band, should be around 9°W Ku-Band....watching Rossia for now :thum:

*On receiver/tuners without the L / R circular polarization selection options H=R and V=L

Only got C-Band on 11W & 3.3E at the moment, nice to see Россия 2 (aka Rossia 2 / Rossia Sport / Rossiya 2 / Russia 2) again, and that they are still heavy on Football, F1 etc content

Still some tweaking to do (ie only have 3 C-Band transponders tuned atm)...will put up pics when finished, hopefully in time for the new Championship & Premiership season and Champions League and Cup competitions....

And of course around the time I decided to do this the number of Ka-Band Satellites over Europe has increased (not just the Irish 9E channels anymore!)...next summer maybe!!!! :D:rolleyes:

edit 19/07/13 8:23: Just got a blip from 5W 4163 L 1500 - RADIO AFRICA .... 5W:thum:

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Just realized why my tracking keeps going out (perils of not setting your East / West dish limits!!!) the new cladding on the back wall has stolen a massive 14° from me!!!! :( :mad: :mecry:

Used to get 45°W as my West Limit, now its 31.5°W and then the dish touches the wall......

Admittedly not much in Ku-Band for Europe between 31.5°W & 45°W, Occ. US feeds and RASD TV, Al Nassr TV on 45°W

So no chance of catching RTI1 & 2 on 34.5°W C-Band, grrrrr!!!

So ropey 5W, excellent 11W & good 3.3E (Linear reception with Circlar Dielectric plate fitted). Nothing from 10E (Position 6E Ku), 20E (Position 16E Ku), 18W (Position 22W Ku), 22W (Position 24W Ku) or 27.5W (Position 31.5W Ku) yet but not fitted the Conical Scalar ring (Toying with removing the internal small Dielecric plate and fitting a large external Dielectric plate made from plastic breadboard or similair which may wipe out Linear reception completely but boost Circular) with cut out for Ku-Band LNB yet......

aerosmith

Registered
You are doing a lot of setting up there! I keep thinking about c band myself but it looks like the cost and setting up is a lot of work. Worth it in the long run I suppose. I'll use another dish if I ever try though.

empb

Staff member
Administrator
You are doing a lot of setting up there! I keep thinking about c band myself but it looks like the cost and setting up is a lot of work. Worth it in the long run I suppose. I'll use another dish if I ever try though.

Not really. Been at it for 4-6 weeks but only a couple of hours each weekend....

empb

Staff member
Administrator
For me Standard Single Output C-Band LNB 13K (BS421) £20 or less + £10 or less P&P = £30 plus £15 inc P&P for the extra Conical Scalar Ring
and brackets = £10 + £5 P&P = £15 TOTAL £60 (Make that about £90 because I bought a Smart Titanium LNB inc P&P but used my older MTI 0.3db LNB in the end)

If your not Modifying an existing dish and don't have another dish then there's the cost of the 2nd dish and Motor. And if you go for the Ku/C-Band LNB it's about £20 more......

aerosmith

Registered
Have 2nd dish but probably way too small to receive anything reasonably well on c band (1.2m), 2nd motor in reserve too.

mdt

VIP
Have 2nd dish but probably way too small to receive anything reasonably well on c band (1.2m), 2nd motor in reserve too.

you will get the stronger birds on a 1.2m dish... 3e/5w/14w and a couple of others. give it a try and report your findings,regards mdt

aerosmith

Registered
Yeah but problem would be 1.2m dish is an offset just as the 1st. As far as I can remember an offset is not really any good for c band. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I have never performed any c band installations before (never been asked to) all ku. Good to know c band lnb is less expensive than I would have thought though.

mdt

VIP
Yeah but problem would be 1.2m dish is an offset just as the 1st. As far as I can remember an offset is not really any good for c band. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I have never performed any c band installations before (never been asked to) all ku. Good to know c band lnb is less expensive than I would have thought though.

@empb is using a triax td110 offset dish along with a few others with decent results. if you have the dish and motor already like you say you can pick a c-band lnb up pretty cheap and do some experiments. another thing is you can pick up a cheap jonsa 1.8m petalised dish for about £100 and although they are not the best and pretty poor for Ku C band is more forgiving. i guess its all down to your own perticular location, funds available and if you want them or not but its worth a punt imo. @empb have you tried ses-6 at 40.5west yet?,regards mdt

aerosmith

Registered
@empb is using a triax td110 offset dish along with a few others with decent results. if you have the dish and motor already like you say you can pick a c-band lnb up pretty cheap and do some experiments. another thing is you can pick up a cheap jonsa 1.8m petalised dish for about £100 and although they are not the best and pretty poor for Ku C band is more forgiving. i guess its all down to your own perticular location, funds available and if you want them or not but its worth a punt imo. @empb have you tried ses-6 at 40.5west yet?,regards mdt

I will just have to get myself some more low loss coax and a c band lnb then and try some experiments later in thr year. Got to wait for leg to get better first along with chest after quadruple by pass op you see 6 weeks ago. Thanks for info I thought it would be more difficult and expensive!

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Going to fit a second dish (re-install one of my older ones - Televes 1.1m) my old Arc was 45W-45E (because East Limit not removed from motor [Hardware Limit] & West because it touches the wall at that point). My current Arc on Ku-Band Triax TD110 (1.06m) is 30W-53E (and further East). I lost 15 degrees when the cladding was fitted (ie dish now touches the wall at 30W :(

And hopefully get back round to 40.5W and have one dish for Ku Band & one dish for C Band!

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Going to fit a second dish (re-install one of my older ones - Televes 1.1m) my old Arc was 45W-45E (because East Limit not removed from motor [Hardware Limit] & West because it touches the wall at that point). My current Arc on Ku-Band Triax TD110 (1.06m) is 30W-53E (and further East). I lost 15 degrees when the cladding was fitted (ie dish now touches the wall at 30W :(

And hopefully get back round to 40.5W and have one dish for Ku Band & one dish for C Band!

Have to order some more T-Brackets, the old ones used with the Televes are smaller than the Triax ones, result my C-Band dish nearly touches the wall at 15W, and certainly wont go 20W, 40.5W!!! :mad::mad::mad:

At least I am getting some C-Band from 20E now :) Would have thought I would get something from 30.4E,46E & 49E in C-Band but nothing, maybe needs slight alignment adjustments.

Now getting C-Band from 11°W, 5°W, 3.3°E & 20°E :thum:

HTB (NTV Russia):

Televes 1.1m: 11°W (Express AM44, DMS LNB) C-Band: 4013R (DVB-S2 8PSK) SR 10050 FEC 3/4 Signal Quality 70% 576i (but less border than the 46°E transmission) Technomate TM7102 Tuner 2

Triax TD110: 46°E (AzerSpace-1, MTI LNB) Ku-Band: 11135H (DVB-S QPSK) SR 27500 FEC 5/6 Signal Quality 64% 576i Technomate TM7102 Tuner 1