Aliminiupg2 and rs232 cable : how to use ?

petma

Registered
Hello everyone,
I'm new to satellite tv and after some searching I found out that to upgrade my EL777 receiver to access tps channels I needed to upload the SW.v1.3.7.101707 file using Aliminiupg2.
So I got a rs232 cable, opened the Aliminiupg2 and chose the SW.v1.3.7.101707 and when I press next, it says: "test serial port status" and does nothing else.
Has anyone experienced the same thing and how did you manage to rectify? :confused:
Thank you for helping.
Petma

petma

Registered
Hi drahcirk03,

Thanks for you reply.
I did what you said but the windows keeps showing the same message ( test serial port status ). the loader I am sing is "ALI System Upgrade 22-11-2007.
Petma

satmoto

Registered
Hi,
Be sure you choose the right com.
When you see "test for serial status"
switch off ( rear of the receiver),wait 5 sec
then switch it on.
the download should start.
cheers.

forks

Donating Member
Hi
Does anybody know the Rs232 pin configuration for the EL777. I want to make my own cable.
Mike

petma

Registered
Hi,
Be sure you choose the right com.
When you see "test for serial status"
switch off ( rear of the receiver),wait 5 sec
then switch it on.
the download should start.
cheers.
Thanks,Satmoto,

I did what you said but the message "test serial port status" is still there".
After so many trials, I think I might need to change something in the configuration of the COM3 I am using. I don't see what else is wrong.
I am using a brand new rs232 with a 9pinF on the EL777 and a 15pinM on the PC and I don't have anything else to test it on.
Do you know anything about COM port configuration?
Cheer,
Petma

satmoto

Registered
@Forks @Petma
========CONNECTING YOUR PC AND STB=============
You need a 9 pin 3 wire null modem cable between the STB
and your computer. Best to have 9 pin serial connection on the Computer side as well. If you are making the cable yourself then
-> Connect 2-3 3-2 5-5. and nothing else.

satmoto.

forks

Donating Member
Many thanks satmoto.
It worked first time.
The full bin updated takes about 7-10 mins. Is that slow ?
Do i have to disable the CAS when i do a software update ?

Mike

buzzbomb

Registered
just for ur info satmoto the serial cable u needed is called a null modem cable ie it is not straight but has a transmit /receive crossover. Cannot comment on how long it should take to do the upload as I am still waiting for my echolink box to arrive.

satmoto

Registered
@ buzzbomb
You're right m8; but it was forks question not mine.
In the software loader you don't have the possibility to set the transfer speed. So you have to wait until you see "end".
For the second question of forks,I don't see any need to disable the CAS when doing the software update.
Regards.
satmoto.