Where to go for Humax newbie help?

Grub

Registered
After my brother passed away i ended up inheriting his Sattelite dish and 2 set top boxes which i would like to get working but still feel kindve newbie to this whole scene.

I've 2 set top boxes, Humax 5400 (loader 1.37) and 5400Z (Loader 2.08 ), i seem to get better Signal on the 5400 so that is the one im currently using.

I live in the UK and can pick up most Free To Air channels no problem although i cant pick up 2 terrestrial channels (Channel 4 and Five) and also cant recieve any Pay To View channels.

It keeps coming up with something like 'no service running or scrambled'.

This is what ive done:

I have a gold type card in the 5400Z and in the 5400 i have a 4th Generation (Fun4) card.

I figured that the problem might be due to me not writing the key.bin file to the card so ordered one of these card writers

link removed

But the thing is im not sure what program im meant to be using (MultiProg and FunKeyEdit are failing on me) and im also not exactly sure what im meant to be writing to these cards because im starting to think the keybin.bin is for something totally different.

If this is in the wrong place i do apoligise but can somebody please explain to me in basic english (still unsure of terms like AU - TPS etc) where exactly im going wrong, or if im almost there, push me into the right direction.

Thanks for reading, Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
I am no humax expert but I'll at least try to help.
You are right assuming that key.bin doesn't go on a card. That is only loaded to receiver memory.
You can use this tool to program a fun card:

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=44741

And I think any of these files should do fine:

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=8732

As for TPS AU, that means auto update working on TPS provider. You tune in to one of the channels on hotbird-10873 V, and the receiver will pick up the keys needed to open tps channels for that day. You repeat the procedure each day.

Any experienced humax owners feel free to correct me if I wrote something wrong.

Grub

Registered
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the links (i know now).

Also cheers for telling me about the TPS, things are seeming more clearer!

Ive tested that program out and when i try to run it it says "DLPORTIO.SYS device driver not loaded. Port I/O will have no effect"

It seems that program isnt compatible with the new card writer i bought as thats RS 232, but i had a bag of other card readers that came with the boxes and there is one with a printer port lead attachment. The light comes on so it does work so i think i have to install something before hand. The thing is its just a yellow box with black underneath it saying "ITT CANNON" so i dont think finding drivers for it are going to be easy :(

I just dont think im going to have any luck with this.

Update: Ahh i just had to install the NT drivers within the FunProm program, would it be asking too much if someone could guide me through this, i dont want to risk damaging the only fun card i have.. its not a Fun 6 one either if that makes any difference.. it just says Open Platform 4th Generation (Fun4 on the actual gold chip).

Flash, INT, EXT, EEPROM Type, Chip ID - Yup, im confused!

Last edited:

Grub

Registered
Thanks once again, feel sligthly more clued up now.

I tried them programs mentioned but they dont work with the writer i bought so really im best off with the yellow one which connects through the printer port.

I did try writing to the fun card the 6in1 files posted above but when i enter the card into my STB it freezes and so i have to turn it off and on, once on it says "Card extracted" when i then pull out the card it says "Invalid card type inserted".

Does this mean the fun card is now shafted and i need another one?

If so which type of card would you recommend instead of fun 4?

Update: Ive just erased the information on the card with FunProm and this time used the 6in1 File and everything seems to have worked fine, i think it was because i never erased the card before flashing it :D

Wouldnt of picked up on that if it wernt for reading them guides - your a star!

Just need to see if i can get quality signal on a TPS channel and then hopefully i will no longer be scrambled

Last edited:

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Ok, glad you got it working.
You can also use goldwafer, this attached file should be fine.

Grub

Registered
To get signal quality on a TPS channel we had to realign the dish, this meant that the FTA channels no longer had any signal quality... we then managed to get it so the FTA channels had signal quality and strength yet its came up with the same things the PTV channels did 'service not running or scrambled'.

I thought that with around 90% strength and quality we should get picture.

Could it be that the dish just isnt quite in the right area and to get the Pay to View channels we still need to mess about with the positioning of the dish?

Has anyone else ever came across having alot of strength and quality but no picture on Free to view channels?

ebmitie

Registered
grub, what size dish, are you motorised or using a dual feed> where are you? For tps use a fta multivision, here is the frequency 11661(V) SR27500, 3/4. Once that clears you know you have TPS, go to france 4 and wait. I usually switch the CAID to card and it works pretty quickly.

ebmitie

Grub

Registered
1.2 metres is the dish size, its motorised with the diseqc 1.2 h-h thingy and im from the UK.

Ive started from fresh and have been able to get some stations from Premiere, also did have digital + but on D+ im now getting audio scrambled message (just like on TPS network). Even though my level and strength is high do you think my dish needs adjusting or does it just need to clear when it pops up the audio scrambled message?

How do you know hwen its AU'd? Just by a picture appearing or does it pop up saying its updated?

Last edited: