Galaxy rule out Premier club bid

McFLY

Registered
Los Angeles Galaxy's owners have ruled out investing in a Premier League club.

Anschutz Entertainment Group's chief executive, who persuaded David Beckham to sign for the Galaxy, said the lack of a salary cap put him off.

"We've had opportunities to buy most clubs in the Premier League over the past seven years," said Tim Leiweke.

"You're only as good as anyone that's willing to spend what they're willing to spend and there are some pretty heavy hitters in that league."

AEG have invested in London's O2 Arena, formerly the Millennium Dome, and Leiweke said the company is looking at opportunities in Asian football.

"We put some significant money into the O2 in London and we're doing quite well with that. That's what we do and we do that well," he said.

"But I think the Premier League is a different animal than Major League Soccer.

"That said, I think around the world there are opportunities in football and certainly Asia is a market that is of high interest to us."

Leiweke also revealed that he has been knocking back bids himself as Beckham's arrival in Los Angeles has awakened interest in the financial possibilities for MLS clubs.

"We've been approached a lot for the team. We had someone recently approach us and say they would give us $100m. We said 'we're not interested'.

"This team is not for sale and I don't care who walks in and I don't care what they offer, we're not interested."

Meanwhile, Fabio Capello has revealed he is mulling over an offer from the United States following his sacking by Real Madrid.

"They have contacted me from the United States, however I must think about it," Capello told Monday's Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"It would be a new experience that would intrigue me not for the money but to see if anyone could make American soccer take off."