Owen targets goal return

McFLY

Registered
July 16, 2007

MICHAEL OWEN has vowed to hit the goal trail when he returns for Newcastle.

The England star missed most of last season after damaging his knee at the World Cup.

Owen, 27, has made just 13 starts since signing for Newcastle in January 2006.

But the hitman insists he will be back among the goals this season.

Owen said: "If I'm fit everyone knows I will score goals - I have done that all my life.

"It's never been a goal of mine before to stay fit but I suppose after these last two years I want to play a full season.

"I don't consider myself injury prone. I have played a lot of games throughout my career for club and country and it's frustrating that my injuries have happened at Newcastle.

"I'm definitely going into this season as strong as I have been for a long, long time and I don't envisage any problems."

Owen also predicted a bright future for Newcastle after Mike Ashley's summer takeover.

The ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid ace said: "There is a lot of optimism around the club at the moment.

"We have new owners, a new manager and new players. Usually if you just get one of the three there is a buzz but we have a treble celebration.

"I'm sure the manager will buy more players before the start of the season and things are looking good at the moment."

Owen has also insisted that he is happy to remain at St James' Park.

He added: "I have never said one bad word about Newcastle United and I have always said that I've enjoyed it up here.

"I've got a house up here and the kids are in school and we're happy. It's nice to put that straight."

Toon keeper Shay Given, 31, has also vowed to stay at the club.

He said: "I have got four years left on my contract and I will definitely be here for them - and hopefully a few more beyond that."