Chelsea suffer Bridge KO blow

McFLY

Registered
July 16, 2007

WAYNE BRIDGE is facing at least three months out after an emergency op on a fractured pelvis.

It is a severe blow for Chelsea as well as England boss Steve McClaren who has crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers early in the new season.

The injury is such a mystery neither Bridge nor the Chelsea medical staff know how he did it.

But it is thought he may have sustained it during England’s Euro 2008 victory in Estonia nearly six weeks ago.

Bridge said: “I didn’t feel any particular pain until we started pre-season last week and the doctors reckon I must have been carrying the injury without knowing it.”

Originally it was thought the left-back had aggravated a hip injury last week and the diagnosis was he would miss three weeks at the most.

But the word now is he will not be able to start running until mid-September at the earliest.

Bridge, 26, flew to Colorado for the operation on Saturday and with Ashley Cole still recovering from an ankle op, Chelsea are already on the verge of a defensive crisis before the season has started.

The £7million buy from Southampton added: “It’s very disappointing but there’s nothing I can do except get fit as soon as possible.”

Boss Jose Mourinho said: “Bridge brought the problem from the last game with the national team. He tried to train but he wasn’t feeling good.”

Rookie Jack Cork, son of former Wimbledon striker Alan, filled in at left-back in their 2-1 victory over Club America on Saturday night.