Last Updated: Saturday, 2 June 2007, 21:29 GMT 22:29 UK

RIDER

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin"
Super VIP
Denmark-Sweden Euro tie abandoned
Herbert Fandel is attacked by a Danish fan
Fandel was threatened after sending off Poulsen
Sweden's Euro 2008 qualifier away to Denmark was abandoned after 89 minutes when a fan tried to attack the referee.

Denmark had fought back from 3-0 down to make it 3-3 when Herbert Fandel sent off Denmark defender Christian Poulsen.

After a spectator ran towards the referee and was intercepted by Danish players, the official walked off, with a penalty he had awarded left untaken.

Uefa will not make a ruling on the result until it has seen the referee's and delegate's reports from Copenhagen.

It could decide to award a 3-0 victory to the Swedes.

The match was in Group F, which is currently led by Northern Ireland.

Fandel was in charge of the Champions League final last month - in which AC Milan beat Liverpool 2-1.

Poulsen was full of remorse after punching Sweden striker Markus Rosenberg in the stomach in the penalty area.

Christian Poulsen wasn't the only one to blame for the episode but that doesn't excuse what he did

Denmark coach Morten Olsen
The visitors were awarded a spot-kick but it was never taken as the match ended in turmoil.

"I was involved in a tussle with the Swedish player, who I felt had provoked me twice. I saw red and I hit him," said Poulsen.

"I would like to apologise to my team-mates and the general public. It's the most stupid thing I've ever done.

"Denmark coach Morten Olsen told me afterwards there's no place on this stage for this sort of thing and I have to agree.

606: DEBATE
Your reaction to this story

"It happened at a time when we had pulled back Sweden's lead and were in the driving seat. I can't condone it."

Olsen, who watched the match from the stands after being sent off in the defeat by Spain in March, added: "It was a black day for Danish football.

"I've spoken with the players who caused the affair. Christian Poulsen wasn't the only one to blame for the episode but that doesn't excuse what Christian did."