Grow up, Humanity...

gorski

Registered
As in Kant's little text:

http://eserver.org/philosophy/kant/w...ightenment.txt - the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...

It states:

Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!

Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why such a large proportion of men, even when nature has long emancipated them from alien guidance...
Angel.gif

To that effect, to all of those that need a Rabbi/Pope/Mullah/whomever to "guide" them I give this jolly piece of wisdom...

Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality, who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. She recently said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination, according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura which was posted on the Internet.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

7. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

8, My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-

Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

Your adoring fan,

Homer Simpson-Caldwell
Bow.gif
Angry.gif

Besides, which part of "Thou shalt not kill!!" or "Love thy neighbour like thyself!!!" is not clear?!?
Lovekiss.gif

Last edited:

renee

SatUniverse's Friend
Registered
Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!

That has been always my Motto :)
But I understand also that the Mass of people need guidance,
believe in it as THE absolute truth and............
thats where the trouble begins ;)

gorski

Registered
Renee, it seems to me [and I may be wrong] that you need to read the whole of Kant's text, slowly and with some concentration... :p You may find that what you have said, IF I understood it correctly, is actually going against the main principles of Enlightenment...:D

Have fun reading...:)

Oh, and may I warmly recommend Prof. Kangrga's "Etika"...;)

renee

SatUniverse's Friend
Registered
Ive read it again, gorski :rolleyes:
Kant is familiar to me, some of his writings I agree with, others I have
my doubts... their his opinions and I respect them but I dont have to believe
them ;)
As to his "enlightenment" theory, yes, I understand what he is saying,
can also say that I agree with him...thus my therory and conclusion, expressed in a very simplified way ;) about guidance by Kings/Princes/Political/Religious
Leaders STANDS :)

PS I am not familiar with Prof. Kangrga's "Etika", I'll check it out, thank you:appl

gorski

Registered
Sorry, m8, you have not understood anything of what he and Enlightenment stand for, if that is your stance...:rolleyes:

Better luck next time...;) :D

Good you're reading, btw!:cool:

gorski

Registered
That's where studying philosophy for many years comes in, reneee... So, you go through a lot of literature, lectures, seminars, essays, debates, exams and so on and so forth... At the end of it [systematic education] you're qualified and if you work hard after that you may even contribute to the area of your choice/interest [that also might attract/get some funding, hopefully:D ]...:cool:

General Public Sphere is one thing but Scientific one another - you need some credentials for the latter, m8... ;)

Hope that clears it up.:)