Lampard supports Adebayor denial

RIDER

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin"
Super VIP
Lampard supports Adebayor denial
Emmanuel Adebayor protests after his red card in the Carling Cup final
Adebayor's appeal for wrongful dismissal was turned down
Frank Lampard has confirmed that Emmanuel Adebayor did not punch him during the melee that marred Sunday's Carling Cup final in Cardiff.

The player's agent, Steve Kutner, told BBC Sport: "I've spoken to Frank and he told me that he wasn't punched."

Adebayor was sent off and then charged with reacting aggressively and failing to leave the field of play by the FA.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had urged Lampard to "tell the truth" about the incident to help Adebayor's case.

Interview: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

Wenger claimed that a linesman had told the FA's compliance unit that Adebayor had punched Lampard during the brawl that resulted in red cards for the Arsenal striker as well as Kolo Toure, his team-mate, and John Obi Mikel, the Chelsea midfielder.

606 DEBATE: Your reaction to this news

He said: "I don't agree at all with the match report, with what the linesman said. This is a lie - a complete lie.

"He comes out now and says Adebayor punched Lampard. I'd like Lampard to come out and say Adebayor punched him."

The Frenchman was angry that he had been unable to select the Togo striker for the FA Cup replay against Blackburn at Ewood Park on Wednesday, which the Gunners lost 1-0.

Adebayor failed with his subsequent appeal for wrongful dismissal and has since been further charged with reacting aggressively and failing to leave the field of play immediately after being dismissed.

The player has requested a personal hearing, to take place next Tuesday, and Wenger has unequivocally backed his striker, claiming he was the victim of mistaken identity.