What to paint my dish Needs Help 1st

fullmonty

Registered
Hi Could someone recomend a paint or spray for my mess dish .as (mine is going dull )and if you can, what paint/spray do you use without losing signal strength?

Cheers

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
I've never painted mine but here is some notes about it of some web site:

Instructions

• STEP 1: Identify the color in which the satellite dish needs to be painted. Look for a high quality outdoor paint that does not peel. Request that the home improvement store salesperson recommend a quality paint.
  • STEP 2: Buy non-glossy paint with a dull finish. Always go for non-glossy paints. Glossy, semi-glossy and metallic paints make the dish antenna extremely shiny, thereby increasing reflection of the signal to the LNBF. This causes signal loss and will disrupt satellite TV reception.
  • STEP 3: Paint the dish, taking precautions to protect the LNBF from getting any paint on it.
Overall Tips & Warnings

• Painting the dish can result in signal loss. If possible, avoid painting the dish.
  • If painting the satellite TV dish is necessary, save the LNBF from being painted.

From another one:

Painting a Dish

I'm frequently asked about painting dishes. YES you can paint the entire dish any colour you wish, including the LNB and cable. Use the thinnest coat possible. Don't paint the LNB cap which faces the dish.
Although white is a nice colour if your building is white, it reflects the sunlight too efficiently. In countries where sunshine is strong and continuous you should paint the dish a dark colour with matt (not gloss) paint. If the dish concentrates sunlight on the LNB cap, it will melt!

So bottom line would seem to be, use thin layer of high quality matt paint, and make sure you don't paint the lnb.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
And regarding spray. I don't know if this thing works but it shouldn't hurt since you are gonna work on the dish anyway. I am not trying to advertise any products here :) I just bumped into this on the net.

View attachment 9311

King’s Rain Shield

What is rain fade?

Sometimes heavy rain and snow can have a negative effect on satellite signal reception making the digital picture freeze, pixel or go out altogether. This loss of signal is commonly referred to as “rain fade” or signal attenuation. Satellite television reception is affected by two factors:

* Water in the atmosphere
* Water on the dish and LNB

To prevent loss of picture due to attenuation, satellite service providers transmit signals down with extra power in areas where it rains frequently. This extra power is called the rain fade margin. In many cases, the loss of signal strength due to rain is not more than the rain fade margin, so you can still be watching TV when it rains. You lose picture when there is enough water in the atmosphere to completely block the signal, or more likely when the signal loss caused by a combination of water in the atmosphere and water on the dish and LNB exceed the rain fade margin.

How does Rain Shield prevent rain fade?

King’s Rain Shield eliminates the negative effects of rain and snow on the dish and LNB. While it does not prevent the reduction in signal due to excessive water in the atmosphere, it prevents rain on the dish and LNB from dropping the signal any further. In other words, when you eliminate the effects of water on the dish and LNB, the rain fade margin only needs to overcome the loss of signal in the atmosphere. It is very seldom that water in the atmosphere alone is enough to make you lose TV picture.

Snow has a similar effect on satellite signal when it starts to melt. Water or melting snow on the dish and LNB cause signal loss much the same as rain will. Without King’s Rain Shield, wet snow can stick to the dish and LNB. When the snow melts, the resulting water will run off in sheets that cause signal strength to be reduced. With King’s Rain Shield applied, snow and water will not stick to the dish and LNB. Water just rolls off in balls rather than spreading in wide sheets and therefore does not have any negative effect on signal reception.