The Holmes Brothers-State of Grace

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
View attachment 7761

By DAVID FRICKE(Rollingstone):
rate 4/5

This veteran trio from Virginia makes fervent country soul from the John Fogerty, Lyle Lovett and Nick Lowe songbooks and also writes its own strong hymns of need and surrender. But the most impressive act of transformation here is the way Sherman Holmes, his brother Wendell and Popsy Dixon take slow, sacred vocal possession of Cheap Trick's fast and carnal "I Want You to Want Me."

Amazon editorial review:

Elvis Costello made Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?" a hard-put question--the Holmes Brothers transform it into a prayer on their spare, passionate tenth album. The disc earns its title by gently framing a clutch of originals and well-chosen covers within their signature blend of old-time gospel singing and roadhouse blues. And zydeco: they transport CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" from the mythic swamps of California songwriter John Fogerty to the authentic bayous of southern Louisiana with an accordion-led arrangement and two-step rhythm. Although these New York City-based juke joint veterans are an electric band, this time out producer Craig Street has surrounded the velvet and grit of their three-part harmonies with acoustic instruments and relaxed tempos. The uncluttered setting magnifies every nuance of their singing, making many of these performances absolutely angelic. And the simpler the better. Their slow, wistful piano-accompanied version of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" aches with desire and sadness. Wendell Holmes and Rosanne Cash bare the wounded soul of Hank Williams's "I Can't Help It If I'm Still in Love with You" as they trade verses over acoustic guitars and mandolins. Joan Osborne and Levon Helm contribute guest vocal on other songs, but it's the Brothers' organic union of the spiritual and the corporeal that makes this album so lovely and so thrilling. --Ted Drozdowski

Track listing:

* Smiling Face Hiding A Weeping Heart
* Close the Door
* (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
* Gasoline Drawers
* I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
* Bad Moon Rising
* Three Gray Walls
* If I Had a Boat
* Those Memories Of You
* I Want You To Want Me
* Ain't It Funny What A Fool Will Do