New Xtrend ET4000 two weeks on the market

hilton

Registered
New decoder for home Xtrend, announced the xtrend 4000 For more information please visit Xtrend

fobo

Registered
Xtrend ET4000 vs. ET5000 review

I just got this receiver some days ago as it is cheaper, full HD and I was quite happy with another xtrend receiver I own, the ET5000. I will try to make a comparison on the way.

I immediately connected it to the network through a wlan stick plugged on the front usb port. ET4000 it has 2 usb port, while ET5000 has 3.

The box itself includes the receiver, remote, 2 batteries, power addaptor and a quick install guide english/german. While the ET5000 included a full manual and no quick guide.

As with the ET5000, it does not include a HDMI cable. Strange because even the cheap chinese gadgets includes such a cable nowadays.

ET4000 is a full HD receiver while ET5000 is not. Mounting a single core processor ET4000 does not support PIP (no such button on the remote). No problem since I never made use of this feature.

The power supply is different. It's like the power adapter of external hard drives, the big part is on the plug, not like the ET5000 with the extension cable before the plug. Personally I don't like it because it takes up space on the power plug.

The remote control is smaller and lighter and round in the middle. It does not fill same quality of the ET5000 remote when you handle. Also some buttons like the color buttons are really small.

ET4000 is quite smaller in comparison to ET5000. But thats mainly because the ET5000 had a lot of of unused space inside.

ET4000 has a different switch-off button on the end. It does the job but it feels not as robust as on ET5000, not sure about this though.

On the front panel ET4000 includes only 2 buttons for navigation near the 2 smartcard slots, Ch+ Ch-. Do not lose the remote :)

ET4000 runs cooler compared to ET5000, maybe because of the different processor.

I hope to test sd/hd picture quality on same tv and the use of a dvb-t tuner later.

Last edited:

fobo

Registered
I would like to add something .....I tested a dvb-t tuner and it runs OK, with the correct drivers depending on the dvb-t chipset. On et4000 the only USB port on the back of the receiver, is right below the LAN port. If you use a LAN cable you can't use a dvb-t stick without an extension cable (because they are thicker then the normal usb flash drives)
The box itself (ET4000) performs well and runs surprisingly cool, HD channels quality is good. The minus in my opinion is the remote-control. Too small, ugly and the Volume-Programs buttons are on reversed, compared to my current TV-remote.control ones :mad:

fobo

Registered
Also I like the fact that the status light on et4000 is strong not like the one on et5000 which was hard to spot in darkness.

arken

Registered
I bought one ET4000 today and I am very happy with the purchase. The box is fast. I cant see any significant difference with ET6000, despite its dual core CPU. The build quality is great. Build in HDMI-CEC support fully integrates with my Sony Bravia TV. The TV remote is controlling all functions of the box, also switch on/off tv and the box simultaneously. OpenPli images available for xtrend boxes are great, stable, full of features and with big plugins repository. For the first time I see images that use the proper way to start and manage sofcams via init.d scripts and all python scrips sources are included like it should be with open source.
There is a lot of useful features in this images like auto mounting of network shares as HDD replacement, audio sync for individual channels and many more.