decrypting and encrypting maincode (Ariva 120)

farcos

Registered
Obviously, some people know how to do that, since we get patched firmwares with camd and stuff, where maincode has been properly reencrypted. Been spending the last 3 days looking for information on how exactly they manage to decrypt, inject custom code and reencrypt the firmware - no luck.

AFAIK, there is nothing illegal about wanting to modify the firmware for a device that *you* own (not everybody is trying to do something illegal with patched firmwares - there is such thing as homebrew), so there's no real reason why the procedure can't be publicized, even, as it is very likely, it requires having the actual hardware at hand. And please I am well aware that we're not dealing with Linux, that there's LZMA+Encryption from a separate chip on maincode (8051 based apparently) and, since I too have done some reverse engineering in my time, I'd appreciate if you can cut the "yet another newbie thinking he can be a hacker" condescending crap if you don't mind.

I'm not planning to spend my life trying to gain access to hardware that I own, especially as I don't care about card sharing and I don't even watch TV that much. But what I hate is knowing that I have a piece of equipment that I could run my own code on but just can't because even as OTHERS have already figured it out, they don't seem to want to share that information...

Is there a reason this stuff is kept under wraps? If not, where exactly is the ALi M3602 decryption, code injection and reencryption process, for Ferguson and clones with additional security chip, documented?

lpm11

Registered
The software is just illegal!
It violates GNU licence. Just connect empty HDD, format it and view sectors using HEX Editor - You will see parts of commonly known linux software.
You could run your own code - use SMT loader and inject your own code under maincode (firstly compress it using lzma).

If you don't understand what's going on - the answer is: money. M3602 are the cheapest CPUs, because source code is a secret (designed by Chineese people). If it hadn't been - somebody would certainly port Linux. And people wouldn't by expensive receivers - just Ariva receivers :)
I can add that maincode is passed through LZMA and afterwards - begining is encrypted by some block encryption algo. You can buy EJTAG, connect to receiver and debug code - you could dump RAM and raw maincode.

You have to know:
The same people write public-available software, and patched software. There is no recompilation, reencryption etc.
One of official firmwares have implemented EMU (this is not the first time. There were even screenshots of $ software in the user manual).

Surprised? That's the true!