To backup an image using Telnet (dm500hd)

johngav

Registered
I’ve managed to do the following & created a backup.img in my temp folder, when i typed the command in telnet should I have changed the line to
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.nfi

If this is correct & liable to work how would I restore my image, below is how I created the backup

* Telnet to the box and paste the following command:
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

* FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
* Here you will find the backup.img file
Thanks

johngav

Registered
backup with telnet

I’ve managed to do the following & created a backup.img in my temp folder, when i typed the command in telnet should I have changed the line to
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.nfi

If this is correct & liable to work how would I restore my image, below is how I created the backup

* Telnet to the box and paste the following command:
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

* FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
* Here you will find the backup.img file
Thanks

The backup image I ftp to my desktop was.60.0mb, the original (DreamEliteBH_DM500HD_1_0.nfi) is 39.1mb.

I changed name from backup.img to backup.nfi, can I flash this back to my box without any serious consequence.

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
i would not mate beeing 60mb that seems very big can you not download the plugin nfi backup

Phk

Registered
So, after obtaining the "cat /dev/mtd3" file, how can i flash it to a new DM500HD box?

prologic

Registered
I have been trying to back up dm500 for the last 2 years , never found a working solution , any other dreambox model is easy .

But saying that, starting from scratch dosent take long .

Phk

Registered
the problem is that i can't find a SSL84 good image for DM500HD that doesn't give problems.

All links are dead.

I hate sopa and pipa and all that crap.

toysoft

DM500HD or DM500s ? The process you describe is for DM500s and not the DM500HD.

Search for GPxBackup tool/Script, that one will work for you.

TS

Phk

Registered
So GPxBackup is good for cloning a DM500HD completely to another one? :D

I have two DM500HD (clones) and wish to copy the image from one to another.

toysoft

Yes, it is. Naturally check to be sure that the SSL (there is a secondstage.bin file into /var/usr, so replace it with proper version you want of SSL) is compatible with your box,

TS

Phk

Registered
I have no /var/usr, and no /usr/(the file you said)

I'm using newnigma3.2.2, and my "recovery" green menu at boot says "bootloader 83"

So what should I do? :|