Dreambox 500 missing channels.

Lewie

Registered
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody can help me with a problem I'm having scanning for channels with a DB clone(DMVBOX 500V8)on Astra 28.2E.
Basically, when I scan for channels it is missing quite a few. I have no BBC channels and some of the ITV channels are there but do not work when selected.
I have tried FTP'ing a new Satellites.xml file, generated by satellites-xml.eu, to the box and rescanned - still no joy.
I have tried the Pli Jade and DarkStar II images, both the same problem.

The strange thing is, when I first had the box, it came preinstalled with a Gemini image. When I first scanned for channels with that image it picked up the channels OK but the channels displayed 19.2 E(scanned with the default setting).

I only changed the image as the screen layout seemed a bit boring.. I regret messing around now, I should have left it as it was.

I forgot to add, I have the box connected to a Sky Minidish and I have had no problems with reception at all when connected to the Sky Box.

Cheers.

Lewie

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi mate you may need a new satellite.xml to cover new frequencies added

You can do this on this site

http://satellites-xml.eu/

All you need to do is FTP the satellite.xml to var/etc and then do a soft reboot.

Menu-shutdown-reboot now.

Then do a manual scan.

With regards to your minidish as long as the snr is above 75% youll be ok below 75% on a 500 is static.

Ferret

Lewie

Registered
Hi Ferret,

That's what I've already done. I just generated another on http://satellites-xml.eu/ and FTP'ed them. and done an automatic scan. The SNR is 94%, AGC - 94% and BER - 0.

When the scan completed the results were: 33 new transponders, 285 new TV services, 41 new radio services, 84 new data services, 58 Transponders with 410 services found.

Still no BBC channels..I'm stumped.

If I do the same again only with a manual scan do I have to change any settings on the manual scan screen?

Thanks for your help.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Hi mate

Maybe you can tell us your dish LNB setup it possible the LNB is setup incorrectly and missing scanning a band.

If you have a universal LNB then you wont have to change a thing from a fresh flash as it is setup to use a universal. If its any other type then you'll need to setup sometimes switches if you use one can missing frequencies when scanning if not setup correctly.

Ferret

Lewie

Registered
Hi Ferret,

I have tried 5 different images: Pli Jade, Darkstar 2, a Neutrino image, EDG Nemesis, I'm currently using a clone safe version of Gemini 4.70. All of the mentioned images find the same channels. I scanned for channels twice for each image, once at the initial setup screen and again after FTP'ing a new satellites.xml generated from the satellites-xml.eu site. I even downloaded a sat.xml file directly using the Blue button menu from one image(cant remember which one)and still the same.

I scan using the one single dish setting with an automatic scan and I've also used the non standard configuration setup. Why - I dont know - I'm just trying everything at the moment. When scanning this way I found that you can view and, if required, manually enter the LNB settings but I believe they are already configured correctly.

The settings are Sat/LNB Mapping - LNB 0, LOF/L - 09750, LOF/H - 10600, Threshold - 11700, Toneburst - None, DISEqC - None.
All the above is lost on me but I've been researching and I read that this was correct.

The Sky minidish,I assume, must be OK as I reconnected the Sky Box and all the channels appear as normal. The Sky box shows about 75% signal strength.

One other thing I find odd, Some of the channels that it does find Channel 5, E4, etc, are not working even though the EPG is displaying the current program.

Not sure if this is of any help, but when searching through the settings I have found that the box has an ALPS tuner.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
The LNB settings look ok for a Universal LNB.

Im sort of thinking the tuner has a problem .

If other receivers complete the scan then its looking that way.

The channels it does find are these on both horizontal ans vertical channels?

Ferret

Lewie

Registered
I've had a look and the channels that work are both horizontal and Vertical channels.

I'm wondering if somehow, when I'm flashing a new image, that some settings are being left behind from the old installed image, I'm using the FTP method - root.cramfs to the tmp folder. I'm only wondering if this is a possibility as when I first had the box, It found the channels but only when scanned with the 19.2E configuration.

I'm going to try and find a copy of the original Enigma firmware and flash the box using DreamUp, I'll let you know how it goes.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
I think thats a good idea mate a reflash with DReamUP.

Let us know how you get on.

Ferret

Lewie

Registered
Hi Ferret,

Just to let you know.. Success at last.
I used Universal DreamUp to flash the Pli Jade image.
What I did was click Flash Erase first, then when I clicked the Flash button I set it to erase the flash again before the image install.
The new scan took a lot longer this time - about 40 minutes but the result is 694 TV Services found(a lot of duplicates as normal) and all the FTA are working.

So it looks like the FTP method does not completely wipe everything off the box.

Well, all set to continue experimenting now and learn a bit more.

Ferret, Thanks a million for your help, It's very much appreciated.

Lewie.

snaps

Registered
Hi Ferret,

Just to let you know.. Success at last.
I used Universal DreamUp to flash the Pli Jade image.
What I did was click Flash Erase first, then when I clicked the Flash button I set it to erase the flash again before the image install.
The new scan took a lot longer this time - about 40 minutes but the result is 694 TV Services found(a lot of duplicates as normal) and all the FTA are working.

So it looks like the FTP method does not completely wipe everything off the box.

Well, all set to continue experimenting now and learn a bit more.

Ferret, Thanks a million for your help, It's very much appreciated.

Lewie.

Hi mate, any chance of links that you used for your images? Im having the very same problems you experienced, ive tried everything and im thinking of packing it in.

miljan017

Registered
you can flash erase 3 times than disconnect dm 500s, connect again dm flash erase again and than flash dm